20 eggs from 12 hens----Easter Miracle!

Blasingame

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2016
Am new to chickens and need some info:
12 Red Star hens and 1 rooster.....They have been laying for about 4 months now- after 1st egg and one week we have been getting one egg per day per hen, yes even thru the mild winter we have had this year....
That is except three days during that four months.....One of those days about a month ago we collected 16 eggs; another day about 2 weeks we collected 14 eggs; Today we collected 20 eggs!!!
No I did not forget to collect the eggs yesterday-----I did clean out all the nesting boxes and put in clean nesting material.
I feed a 22% protein pellet and chickens are turned out to graze every evening for 1 to 3 hours, on 5 acres.
All the hens try to perch on the arms of the lawn chairs, or in our laps when we are taking a break from yard work, or trying to drink my coffee or iced tea.....The Rooster keeps a little distance, always ready to attack any thing that moves too fast, (people, dogs, cats). He seems jealous of us being around his hens.
We have been getting huge eggs, some with 2 and even 3 yolks.....
I suspect that this egg production is not normal?....Can someone help with this Mystery?

Hi and welcome to BYC. Whilst i can take a little time for new layers to sort out their plumbing, your situation sounds to be an exception to the norm - a good exception!
smile.png

All the best
CT

Miracle, or maybe somebody playing a trick on you. It has happened to others when a spouse or friend thinks it would be funny.

LOL.....that would be good one, but have a padlock on the coop.......Thanks for your reply.......have some plausible explainations......LB

Back
Top Bottom