2010 HomeMade Chicken Incubator Contest - Win $20 Gift Cert. Ends 9/12

Quote:
Love this idea! what was your hatch rate (how many eggs placed/how many hatch successfully?

My hatch rates have varied, but I think mostly because it has been a learning experience from the beginning. My best hatch ever came from eggs shipped from NC of black Astraloups that I got on a swap. I got 10 eggs, 2 were cracked in shipping, but I tried to seal them. It didn't work for me, but the remaining 8 hatched. So I took it as a 100% hatch. The biggest thing I have learned so far is don't buy cheap lightbulbs from the dollar stores. There's a reason they are cheap. I had two blow outs with eggs in the incubator
hit.gif
. I still had about 6 hatch in that batch of 12 but I'm sure it affected the hatch.

goos stuf i wan tp enter my bucket inator mach 2 v-9 but i my camera wont allow me .I'll use my nautns tommorw though.

Quote:
Looks very nice, are you still working on it or just the page?
clap.gif

thank you!

both, dont have a shop and the weather has not been cooperating so its been under a blue tarp, I got a bit done today maybe tomarrow I can gitter done. I really want to plop some eggs in!

and of course till its done well the rest of the page is on hold!

Okay, here is our homemade incubator. Let me start by saying this is the cheapest incubator you will ever find.
big_smile.png

supplies...

cardboard box
heat lamp
bowl of water
thermometer
bedding
box tape

That's it! So you put the heat lamp above your cardboard box that has the bedding and bowl of water in it. You line up your fertile eggs on either side of the water and out of the direct light from heat lamp. You may need to add a flap of cardboard with the box tape to the top of the box to shade some of the light and make it easier to reach in to rotate your eggs. You put your thermometer in between two eggs to determine the temp where they are laying. You turn your eggs twice a day (by hand) and once a day you rotate them i.e. you move bottom egg to top and move the rest down one spot. We have done this twice so far. The first time we weren't moving the position of the egg and the chicks developed at different rates with none actually hatching. The second time we had a rate of 3 hatch out of 8 eggs, two were yolkers and the others quit. This is not for anyone who wants a lot of chicks at one time. However this is a wonderful science fair project and learning experience for the whole family. Hope you enjoy.

9370_img_5179.jpg

9370_img_5180.jpg

Finally figured out how to make a page so you will see the post again later. Sorry I didn't make a page the first time.

Last edited:
Momofchicks, your bator is what I was referring to when I posted last night about incubating using a box and no fan, fancy tubing, etc.

I just finished my boxbator using a small styrofoam container and heating with a heating pad covered with towels, I put a digital gauge (temp staying around 100) inside to monitor humidity and it was 90..eeek.. I removed the sponge but the humidity still hovers at 68%. There is nothing in there that I can remove to lower the humidity, so I took the bator out of the bathroom and it is in the living room. Hopefully, the humidity will drop, I have 2 vent holes open and will try a thrid. It is 50% in my house alone. I am encouraged by your boxbator
thumbsup.gif
If this works, it will be a simple and inexpensive way to hatch out 1 or 2 chicks at a time which is all I want, and I don't want to invest much money to do it.

UPDATE: after opening a third vent hole, the humidity has dropped to 49%, which matches the rest of my house, and the temp. has stayed the same.

39406_img00046-20100411-15221.jpg

39406_img00047-20100411-15221.jpg

Last edited:
Hello evreyone, Well I just woke up and jumped back on here to see how my bator entry looked. I work some funky hours (4:30pm to 4:00am) so I try to stay up as long as I can on Sunday nights. I was pretty tired when I posted my entry and now after a little sleep I see that I didnt do it right. I didnt link it up. Sorry for the long post and i hope this doesnt disqualify my entry. I feel like a complete tool.
idunno.gif
hit.gif
:
I will try to fix it a little later

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom