2013 Sebastopol Breeding/Gosling Thread

I am feeding a mix of oats, wheat, triticale, and lentils that I get from a local farmer. My business partner and I have found a different source for added protein, grit, necessary vitamins and minerals and fats needed. I think it ends up about $10.50 for a 50 lb bag.

The birds like the whole grains better than processed feed. It took mine a couple days to realize it was edible, but now they scarf it down.

I am getting a Hovabator Genesis 1855. I have a small flock of Sebastopols, so all I need for now is a tabletop model. And it seems to be the most convenient with everything built in. Has anyone else used one? Are there any tips or tricks I should know about it?

Thanks for letting me know about storing the eggs. I will definitely keep them turned.

I have a digital R-com incubator and they work awesome.
I have copies of Pete incubation methods so I will be following them regiously!!!

Last edited:
Ditto! We could all use a good year. Like the one Jean had when she was buried in goslings!
lau.gif

If you are saving the eggs up for a while it supposedly helps turn them. I try to at least once or twice a day, stored on their side.
X2
Yeah, last year I only hatched 11 goslings.........

Don't think I want to have over 30 again though!!!
What? Don't over 30....????
th.gif

Be careful what you wish for!
lol.png
gig.gif

I am pretty hopeful that since changing to whole grains that I will see a difference in hatchability. The eggs were fertile and developed, they just wouldn't make it all the way through the incubation process.

You know- I had been mixing the layer crumbles with the grains, and they would just pick all the grains out. I would be left will a bowl of crumble at the end of the day. So I just stopped giving it to them. They still get salad too. No soft shells or anything so far. Will be interested to see how it plays out.
What grains are you feeding? Also, what kind of crumble were you giving them?
May I ask what grains your using and is this all year round?
pop.gif

I am feeding a mix of oats, wheat, triticale, and lentils that I get from a local farmer. My business partner and I have found a different source for added protein, grit, necessary vitamins and minerals and fats needed. I think it ends up about $10.50 for a 50 lb bag.

The birds like the whole grains better than processed feed. It took mine a couple days to realize it was edible, but now they scarf it down.
That is an awesome deal! I cannot even get grains that cheap at our mill. We pay between $12-$13.00 something per bag.
I am getting a Hovabator Genesis 1855. I have a small flock of Sebastopols, so all I need for now is a tabletop model. And it seems to be the most convenient with everything built in. Has anyone else used one? Are there any tips or tricks I should know about it?

Thanks for letting me know about storing the eggs. I will definitely keep them turned.
I have a 1588 Genesis Hova-Bator...I loved it! However, last year the temperature started going hay-wire and I haven't had a chance to fix it. Other than that, it's a great lil incubator and I always had good hatch rates in it.
I use them-Genesis 1588s. Don't use the turners and you can fit a lot more eggs. I am going to basically follow Pete's advice this time around:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

**Now you can get them with a 12v battery backup, or add it to update an older one.**
That's interesting about the 12v battery backup...
I have a digital R-com incubator and they work awesome.
I have copies of Pete incubation methods so I will be following them regiously!!!
I've heard of the R-com, but will have to research it a bit more. How many eggs will it hold, Barb?

~ Aspen

Just wondering what thermometers ya'll are using. I want to find a Brinsea spot check but didn't see any on amazon.
I use a GQF thermometer.
I just got one of these because my other ones are so old: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QM978E/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

I think I only paid like $14 though. When I first got it- it was over more than a degree. I took out the battery and it seemed to cure it, so now I know all my old ones were still accurate.
I have never owned a Hydrometer..I need to get one! Or several...

~ Aspen

Back
Top Bottom