2013 Sebastopol Breeding/Gosling Thread

Hi everyone! I have always loved the Sebbies but was never able to find anyone around here that had any. Lucky for me, I've recently found a breeder about 45 miles from me. I bought 11 eggs from her at a steal because her incubators were full. I have them in my GQF 1502 Sportsman...I know it would be better to have them on their sides , but I don't have the inserts for my trays to allow that & since I have other eggs in there, they are on end & I'm using the automatic turner. I set them 3/13 and candled them yesterday...I have 10 developing!!! I am so excited, but worried about having to incubate them on end. These are the first geese eggs I've tried to hatch. I've hatched out tons of chickens & ducks, but no goslings.

Hi everyone! I have always loved the Sebbies but was never able to find anyone around here that had any. Lucky for me, I've recently found a breeder about 45 miles from me. I bought 11 eggs from her at a steal because her incubators were full. I have them in my GQF 1502 Sportsman...I know it would be better to have them on their sides , but I don't have the inserts for my trays to allow that & since I have other eggs in there, they are on end & I'm using the automatic turner. I set them 3/13 and candled them yesterday...I have 10 developing!!! I am so excited, but worried about having to incubate them on end. These are the first geese eggs I've tried to hatch. I've hatched out tons of chickens & ducks, but no goslings.
Just take the whole turner out. Once they really start to fill up the eggs they won't do well. I have tried with sad results. The only time I got geese to hatch upright was when a mama goose had sat on them for several weeks and left the nest with early hatchlings, so I took the eggs inside.

I can't take the turner out because they're in a cabinet incubator. There are 3 setting trays & I have other eggs in there as well. My tabletop incubator has 3 emu eggs in it that should have hatched anywhere from a few days ago to the next couple of days. I could move them to the tabletop incubator once the emu eggs are out of it, but I don't think all 10 of the ones developing will fit in it. If they will be okay for another week in the upright position (they're on day 13 now) I could possibly get the inserts for my trays from GQF by then so I could move them to their sides.

Just candled the eggs I set on the 21 and have some veins already!!! Yeah
yesss.gif

My pens with Gary and Adonis are showing fertile. Valentino is still trying to figure things out, he was trying to breed today and was hanging off the side.
roll.png

We'll see how the other gander (Dave) does, he's a bit older. May have to go to my business partner's house and borrow a gander back.

Candeled more eggs today and now I have a total of 21 eggs growing. Only at day 4 on a lot of them, so there were a couple that were iffy.

Valentino is doing his job now!

More eggs to set this weekend!
yesss.gif

Hi everyone!

I hatched out a little Sebastopol gosling a month ago. The egg came from Celtic Oaks Farms. Is it normal for their legs and beak to be pale at one month old? She's been eating kale and chick starter along with water supplemented with niacin.

Also, I'm hoping to pick up a pair of sebastopol geese this weekend. If I do, I will be hatching every egg she lays.

Here she is at 2 days old.

and here she is now at 1 month old.

Back
Top Bottom