2013 Sebastopol Breeding/Gosling Thread

As I said its tricky if you don't know the pedigree. For example a Grey paired to a Lavender will produce 100% true Blues. If you then introduce Buff into the breeding programme you can get Lilac. Almost a warm mushroom colour as the Buff appears to have a Blue wash over the feathers and personally I think its very attractive.

Oh I know what the parents are- my blue goose is from a lavender gander over all-white goose. When I cross her with the grey saddleback split for buff I have been getting dark grey/blue solids and dark grey/blue saddlebacks.
So apparently they are not really blue, but dilute grey- right?

I hope to get some lilacs next year. If I end up with more than one buff female I will try to add one into the mix with my lavender pair.

Last edited:
That mating would give you solid Grey and Blue males (SB carriers and 50% split for Buff) and SB females in grey, Blue, Buff and Lilac!!!

They are TRUE BLUES!!! Quite a dream mating there for the combination of colours
celebrate.gif

That mating would give you solid Grey and Blue males (SB carriers and 50% split for Buff) and SB females in grey, Blue, Buff and Lilac!!!

They are TRUE BLUES!!! Quite a dream mating there for the combination of colours
celebrate.gif
Oh wow! Which pairing? They are a trio like this:

Grey saddleback split for buff gander X blue female
buff saddleback female

So only the girls from the first pairing will be saddleback, but the boys will carry it?
I am really throwing a lot at you today , Pete- sorry about that!
lol.png

The pairing which gives you that range of colours (and all easily sexed as Solids are males and SBs are females is;

Grey SB (split for Buff) Gander x Blue Goose
thumbsup.gif

Hi. I am brand new to geese but am trying to learn everything. I want to do well with them! I ordered Sebastopol hatching eggs and hatched 2 out of 6. The breeder listed the gander as white and the geese as white, lavender, and blue splash. The white and lavender are Holderread stock. I am wondering what color combinations I could have (other than the possible pure white) and if these are sexable by down color. They are a day old. What do you think?

cute babies. Sadly you cant feather sex them when the parents are of mixed colors, its only for 100% white. As for color they can be a few things, but you wont know until they are feathered in. (around 4-6 months old you will really see well)
Hi. I am brand new to geese but am trying to learn everything. I want to do well with them! I ordered Sebastopol hatching eggs and hatched 2 out of 6. The breeder listed the gander as white and the geese as white, lavender, and blue splash. The white and lavender are Holderread stock. I am wondering what color combinations I could have (other than the possible pure white) and if these are sexable by down color. They are a day old. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom