2013 Sebastopol Breeding/Gosling Thread

On the gosling that look like hernia please put either dry betadine spray on it so it does not get infected or spray betadine on it.

I've been putting iodine tincture on it to prevent infection. Is that similar to the betadine spray?

By the way, both goslings hatched out this way... I'm wondering if it has to do with the incubator conditions...

It says that betadine spray is a 5% povidone-iodine solution. I have iodine tincture available as well as a 10% povidone-iodine solution. Which do you recommend I use? Have you dealt with something similar in the past?

Sounds like they have just not absorbed the total egg sack yet. It will go away in time. Betadine is better on infection. They used that on me when I had what you call a catheter in my right chest to do dialysis and they used that to keep infection down. I am not sure about iodine.

Did you follow Pete Guide on incubation? You also leave those goslings in the incubator longer so they can absorb the yolk. It needs to be kept moistened to absorb quicker.

Sounds like they have just not absorbed the total egg sack yet. It will go away in time. Betadine is better on infection. They used that on me when I had what you call a catheter in my right chest to do dialysis and they used that to keep infection down. I am not sure about iodine.

Did you follow Pete Guide on incubation? You also leave those goslings in the incubator longer so they can absorb the yolk. It needs to be kept moistened to absorb quicker.

I'm fairly certain that it's not yolk. I'm new to hatching goslings, but I've hatched chicks for many years and this doesn't look like an unabsorbed yolk sac. As soon as they hatched, it felt like a small piece of muscle. It was fairly hard, not soft like a yolk. Neither of them show any signs of absorbing it even though one of them is 30 hours old. Both are still in the incubator.

I did follow Pete's Guide. Each egg lost 15% - 16% of their mass before externally pipping so the humidity isn't the problem.

They are running around and seem healthy, but their protruding navels worry me.

Last edited:
What Pete recommends is great.

Goslings are different than chickens with the yolk sack. I have had goslings like that and it just took them longer to absorb it. They may have kicked out too soon. They should have them go in but it will take a bit. If not I have no idea of what is going on. Take pictures and put them on here so we can figure out what is going on with them. They just might have herniated them.

I had 2 hatch in different batches with the big extended belly. One actually had a little bit of guts popped out, but they both ended up fine after a couple days. I really just waited to put them in the brooder with the others so nobody would pick at it.

I had 2 hatch in different batches with the big extended belly. One actually had a little bit of guts popped out, but they both ended up fine after a couple days. I really just waited to put them in the brooder with the others so nobody would pick at it.

Thanks! That gives me some hope.

I tried to take pictures of it, but I have an older camera and they all turned out extremely blurry...
hmm.png

They look similar to this, but not quite as bad: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/533785/deformed-gosling-help-please-asap

See how the navel protrudes? My goslings don't have the bloody mass at the end of the protruded navel like in the photos above. Just the protruded navel itself.

Last edited:
Hi Goose ladies and Goose guys. Just wanted to say HI! I got my first Goose ggs today, vert excited. Hope I get a few

Hi Livi! Wishing you many healthy goslings in the near future!

I have some older ones growing out. They are so easy at this point. The only one we named so far is Skye. I love her face.

Hugo's son, Hugo (all his pretty curls are gone
sad.png
) , and Skye- his daughter:

And just being silly:

Back
Top Bottom