2013 Sebastopol Breeding/Gosling Thread

Now there's a plan!
goodpost.gif

Geese take up a LOT of resources and need space. Having one breed really helps keep your sanity.

Goose-lynn passed away.  When she started showing those symptoms, I knew that she wouldn't make it. She lasted for about 9 hours after that was posted.

I was worried that it was because of her strange navel, so I talked myself into investigating to help save the other gosling. Believe me, it wasn't easy to do. I loved my little Goose-lynn. Upon my investigation, I realized that what is going on with their navels seems to be harmless and I'm fairly sure that it won't affect Gooser in any negative way. 

I believe that Goose-lynn died because of an absorption problem. I found a full sized yolk sac in her body cavity even though she was over 3 days old.  She most likely died due to the lack of nutrition...

Gooser is very healthy, though he cries whenever I'm not there next to him.  I need to find him a buddy.  For now, he talks to a mirror that I put in his pen and he sleeps snuggled up to a small plush cat.

so sorry about goose lynn poor little dear

There are saddleback colored sebastopols already, so if you can't decide which breed- why not just go with that?
big_smile.png

Because I didn't know that. I thought they only came in white. Then I saw that there were gray ones a few weeks ago and when I asked people if they came in any other colors aside from gray or white I was told no and that the gray ones are very hard to find. Well, I found one that I'm pickign up Saturday morning. It was just recently born/hatched, so not very old. But I am most definately interested in buying saddleback sebby's. Do you know anyone who has them?

This was sold to me as a gray. I have since learned that there is NO WAY that is a gray. 1st because it isn't dark enough to be a gray, and 2nd because it would have a gray or black beak and feet. This one DOES have a bit of tinting on the beak, but most is around the edge by the face. What color do you think this is? Someone else said buff, but definately NOT a gray OR a blue. I asked the person I got it from what color the parents were and she said they were both gray.

Okay, wow, I wasn't expecting this, but the breeder's getting snotty with me b/c it's mixed w/a Toulouse and I said "What? You never said anything about this being a mixed breed! If I knew it, I would not have bought it b/c I don't want to breed mixed breeds into my sebbies. I just bought 3 more purebred babies to go with her and now I can't b/c otherwise all of MY babies will be mixed." :( She replied back that the gray comes fromt he toulouse and that's how they got the color into the sebbies in the first place and I said I'm sorry, but that is not common knowledge to a newbie. She said that it IS common knowledge if you know how to use google and that no one twisted my arm to make the purchase! OMG! Are you KIDDING ME???? What a B!! I've been to dozens of websites and I HAVE done research and not one breeders website said ANYthing about breeding the toulouse in in order to get the gray coloring. So no - I'm not going to think anything of that at all. I'm just going to think it's a gray sebby. Period. It was advertised as "gray sebastopol gosling, born x/x/xx, $20 (I can't remember DOB). I'm sorry, but you don't advertise it as a purebred if it isn't a purebred. And it wasn't even hers, she was selling it for a friend.

Someone else chimed in (public FB group, so anyone can see the conversation) that there's no such thing as a buff sebby, it's a sebby X american buff cross. And the saddle backs are sebby x saddleback pomeranian crosses. So now I'm even more confused - are they all mixes? CAN I use it in my breeding program? Or are the mixes so far back generation wise that they're actually considered purebreds, now?

Sorry, but I'm kinda ticked. IDK what to do! She is REALLY making it off like it's all MY FAULT for not knowing that she was selling a mix breed when SHE is the one who omited information in order to make the sale! That's like someone advertising a Lab and you go to pick it up and it's got curly fur and they say "Oh, it's a Labradoodle!"

Okay, wow, I wasn't expecting this, but the breeder's getting snotty with me b/c it's mixed w/a Toulouse and I said "What? You never said anything about this being a mixed breed! If I knew it, I would not have bought it b/c I don't want to breed mixed breeds into my sebbies. I just bought 3 more purebred babies to go with her and now I can't b/c otherwise all of MY babies will be mixed." :( She replied back that the gray comes fromt he toulouse and that's how they got the color into the sebbies in the first place and I said I'm sorry, but that is not common knowledge to a newbie. She said that it IS common knowledge if you know how to use google and that no one twisted my arm to make the purchase! OMG! Are you KIDDING ME???? What a B!! I've been to dozens of websites and I HAVE done research and not one breeders website said ANYthing about breeding the toulouse in in order to get the gray coloring. So no - I'm not going to think anything of that at all. I'm just going to think it's a gray sebby. Period. It was advertised as "gray sebastopol gosling, born x/x/xx, $20 (I can't remember DOB). I'm sorry, but you don't advertise it as a purebred if it isn't a purebred. And it wasn't even hers, she was selling it for a friend.

Someone else chimed in (public FB group, so anyone can see the conversation) that there's no such thing as a buff sebby, it's a sebby X american buff cross. And the saddle backs are sebby x saddleback pomeranian crosses. So now I'm even more confused - are they all mixes? CAN I use it in my breeding program? Or are the mixes so far back generation wise that they're actually considered purebreds, now?

Sorry, but I'm kinda ticked. IDK what to do! She is REALLY making it off like it's all MY FAULT for not knowing that she was selling a mix breed when SHE is the one who omited information in order to make the sale! That's like someone advertising a Lab and you go to pick it up and it's got curly fur and they say "Oh, it's a Labradoodle!"

The first sign of this gosling not being full Sebastopol is the price $20.00. Sebastopol goslings can go from any where from $50.00 to $75.00 depending on the breeder. Some go for more than that. There are a lot of people out there miss informed about colored Sebastopol's. Color was there already. Dave Holderread will tell anyone the first Sebastopols had spots on them. Then him breeding them the color started to come out with different matings of the whites. So basically color was already there in them it just had to be bred out.
So many people just do not realize it they think it had to be bred into them.

I would not use that gosling in your breeding program due to it being a mixed breed.

Back
Top Bottom