2014 Crochet square swap, colorful circles.

I used to thread crochet (the doilies) w/ tiny hooks, but my favorite go to hook for yarn is "k" I use it nearly every chance I get. When I first transitioned from thread to yarn I had a horribly tight stitch, the bigger hooks helped me to "loosen it up"

I learned on a G so that's my go to hook. I want to accommodate you and have stitches that are close in size to yours.
smile.png
I will try the K.

Won't the stitches be the same size if the final product measures 12 inches? I will probably use a g or h at first. I started with g and h, but my new go to is the L. I splurged and bought a wood hook that I love. It works great for thick wool yarn or home town USA. It is also perfect for double stranded worsted yarn like super saver.

I think since they are the same pattern as long as we do the same pattern and end up the same size the stitches should be the same no matter which hook we took to make it work.

This is why you should make a gauge square first. Some folks crochet a smaller or larger stitch (tighter or looser) with the same size needle/hook as someone else.

A pattern will state the gauge. Stitches per square inch. I have fat stubby fingers so my stitches tend to be on the big side. I might have to use a smaller hook to get the same size stitch.

Practicing helps to get all your stitches the same/even sized.

Sounds fun, sign me up :) My son also crochets, he just learned. I'll ask him if he wants to participate :)

My blanket from the fall swap (2012?) is a favorite in the house, so I'll be looking forward to this one! Any preferences on the colors?

Sounds fun, sign me up :) My son also crochets, he just learned. I'll ask him if he wants to participate :)

My blanket from the fall swap (2012?) is a favorite in the house, so I'll be looking forward to this one! Any preferences on the colors?

Welcome I've added you, if your son joins we may break a record and have 3 male crocheters! He is more then welcome. That applies to any participants who have family that might want to join the swap.

Except for the white I am basically having fun playing w/ stash colors, it is more addictive then I thought it would be for such a simple pattern.

I agree I LOVE my fall swap blanket!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Well, I will just have to see what I can do ;)

Looks like a pretty quick and easy pattern to me, I think I might be able to get him to go for it!

Yes! And I believe the males would either equal or outnumber the females in this swap thus far! (I'd have to look set the sign up page). Welcome to the swap!!!!

I did up one of the small circles up last night with a K hook, just to see if it measures up. Turned out exactly 6"; now to get them to all turn out that way. Did you FO the main color (like the instructions) and then start the white or did you just continue by adding the white till the end?

Small circle are one color with white, correct?

Back
Top Bottom