2014 OHIO NATIONAL UPDATE

Thank you so much! Ill cross my fingers! I know its out of season, but these birds are VERY hard to find here in Canada!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wisher1000, do you have any extra youngish Silver Campines that you could sell? I will be there Saturday afternoon to Sunday. I'm not showing anything and don't have any show quality stock to trade, but I have been pining for some Campines (sorry for the pun). I haven't been able to find any breeders in my area and neither can I find an breed association for them in the US. They don't appear to be very popular.

I also have some old negatives (pre-1940s) of what I am pretty sure are Campines, but would like a more experienced eye to confirm that.

Do you have an incubator? I don't have any extras that I am willing to part with at this time, but I may be willing to bring you some eggs, either to Columbus or shipped to you next year.

Silver Campines (rhymes with "lamb themes" or "Jam Queens"
tongue.png
) are very rare and in sad shape. I have only just gotten started with mine and have been working on it for about three years. I don't have any standard SCs at all. I am breeding to standard, but mine are a work in progress and when/if you see them at the Nationals, you will not be impressed. If you are interested in getting started with heritage birds, there are many other choices that would be much easier. If you, like myself, have your heart set on SCs, you will have to do like I did and gather the best birds you can get your hands on, and breed them up. THEN, we can swap birds for genetic diversity!

Last edited:
Oh, I don't have one yet. I was thinking of experimenting in the spring with one with my own eggs. I don't want to buy eggs for my first time using the incubator in case I really mess it up!

I think I will take your advice and try to work on my own strain of them piecing together what I can find. I really love their coloring and they seem like time spent on them would be worthwhile since they are rare in the States. So many other rare/heritage breeds have a lot of devotees already. It is too bad that importing new birds is just about impossible. They are still going strong in Europe and UK from the info I can find on them.

Anyway I going to bring that negative (as long as I haven't mis-placed it) and see what you think. I just want a second opinion to confirm that it is an early picture of them.

I look forward to seeing it and to meeting you! If you decide to go ahead with the Silver Campines, keep in touch, and let me know how it's going. It will be fun to compare notes with someone else working on them!

It is my understanding that there are 1050 Call ducks entered in the show, I got that number from the show secretary.

Young folks, come bring your favorite Call duck for Call duck showmanship! There will be trophies for each of the three age groups! Some very nice rosettes for both Open and Junior varieties as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom