2015 COTURNIX QUAIL THREAD!!!!!!

I got a young coturnix quail pair last Fall. The female has been laying since Feb but her eggs were not fertile. I finally am getting some development in her eggs Im incubating. Today is day 17 for one and another will be day 17 tomorrow. Im glad I read this thread so Im not worried that nothing is hatching. I see movement by candling in the one due to hatch tomorrow. I was going to assist the one that is due to hatch today but now I will just wait. Sounds like 25 days is not out of the question for days to incubate to hatch. Thanks to all for sharing your experiences.

I got a young coturnix quail pair last Fall. The female has been laying since Feb but her eggs were not fertile. I finally am getting some development in her eggs Im incubating. Today is day 17 for one and another will be day 17 tomorrow. Im glad I read this thread so Im not worried that nothing is hatching. I see movement by candling in the one due to hatch tomorrow. I was going to assist the one that is due to hatch today but now I will just wait. Sounds like 25 days is not out of the question for days to incubate to hatch. Thanks to all for sharing your experiences.

I find most of my coturnix hatch on day 18.... I would expect you to see pips any time now. It is always a bad plan to break a chick out if it has not even started the process.... If a chick has pipped, started to zip and stopped long enough to shrink wrap is a different situation. Most of the time shrink wrap is caused by the human opening the incubator rather than a defect with the chick. Years ago there was a man here who's tag line at the bottom of each post was "Dont Break'em out"..... This is a good policy..... Any chick you "help", you need to be prepared to end if the situation calls for it... Other wise leave them alone..... Good luck with your birds.

I have 24 in the incubator and the guy said he has 85% hatch rate so how many you guys think will hatch jw

This spring's first hatch, from e-bay, will go on lock down tomorrow. 30 eggs. My old little giant incubator has needed a lot of baby sitting. I've had a couple of spikes an drops. We will see early next week how it went.

I bought a new still air little giant from tractor supply. on sale for $38.00
The next pile of eggs that are on heir way, as we speak, will go in the new one. I wonder if my old egg turner will fit? they have a different foam body.
Wish me luck.
Jay

I have 24 in the bator now wish I would have waited and got some more to fill it from a different person but yea

Good luck!!

That is how I ended up with 2 incubators. My egg delivery schedule got messed up.

I'm ok with having 2 :)

Hi,
I have a lot of questions, and I hope someone can give me advice.
After one failed chicken egg hatch from a hot water heater thermostat in a styrofoam incubator, I built my own incubator after watching rush lane poultry on u tube. It's the cooler with a pc fan and wafer thermostat.
I ordered 40 jumbo cortinux quail eggs from eBay. I let them sit overnight then set them in the incubator.
This is the first batch of eggs I Have in the new incubator.
After reading article after article about the humidity for quail before and after lockdown, I am more confused now. So many people claim that they have great success both ways. Of course I realize the eggs need more humidity during lockdown, however for someone like myself, I only have 2 of the cheaply humidity gauges found at pet store and walmart. I am not sure if people are gauging the humidity from high tech devices, or as some people say "when the windows fog up, then your humidity is fine".
Also, long story short, the eggs arrived same day as the darn wafer thermostat. Even though the wafer was ordered 2 weeks before the eggs... Arrgh! (Darn postal service!)
Anyway, I thought I had the thing(wafer) set to a perfect temp, then it spikes up. This is before the eggs were in. I kept turning the silly thing, yet still have not mastered which way to turn to lower temp. Does anyone else have trouble with these wafer thermostats. They seem so finicky. I have been able to get the temp to not go above 101, however I would like it to be 100. I am afraid that the minute I fiddle with it, it may cook those eggs with a major spike.
If someone could help me I would apprieciate it. Any personal experiences that helped you would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hi,
I have a lot of questions, and I hope someone can give me advice.
After one failed chicken egg hatch from a hot water heater thermostat in a styrofoam incubator, I built my own incubator after watching rush lane poultry on u tube. It's the cooler with a pc fan and wafer thermostat.
I ordered 40 jumbo cortinux quail eggs from eBay. I let them sit overnight then set them in the incubator.
This is the first batch of eggs I Have in the new incubator.
After reading article after article about the humidity for quail before and after lockdown, I am more confused now. So many people claim that they have great success both ways. Of course I realize the eggs need more humidity during lockdown, however for someone like myself, I only have 2 of the cheaply humidity gauges found at pet store and walmart. I am not sure if people are gauging the humidity from high tech devices, or as some people say "when the windows fog up, then your humidity is fine".
Also, long story short, the eggs arrived same day as the darn wafer thermostat. Even though the wafer was ordered 2 weeks before the eggs... Arrgh! (Darn postal service!)
Anyway, I thought I had the thing(wafer) set to a perfect temp, then it spikes up. This is before the eggs were in. I kept turning the silly thing, yet still have not mastered which way to turn to lower temp. Does anyone else have trouble with these wafer thermostats. They seem so finicky. I have been able to get the temp to not go above 101, however I would like it to be 100. I am afraid that the minute I fiddle with it, it may cook those eggs with a major spike.
If someone could help me I would apprieciate it. Any personal experiences that helped you would be appreciated.
Thanks

Personally I would leave it where it is.

Back
Top Bottom