2016 BYC Calendar - Your Pictures Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! I love the gold-laced Wyandottes. I only have her, though. My others are all black Australorps. In the future, I'd like to get more Wyandottes!

We started out with three golden laced Wyandottes, we have two and they are the ones that are most behaved. We have three silver laced Wyandottes and I will not get them anymore. They are aggressive and pecks at the Australorps all the time. The smallest is the pecker at actually goes out of her way to pick on the only two I have left because of her. I have to watch her all the time. Be warned if you get the Silvers.

We started out with three golden laced Wyandottes, we have two and they are the ones that are most behaved. We have three silver laced Wyandottes and I will not get them anymore. They are aggressive and pecks at the Australorps all the time. The smallest is the pecker at actually goes out of her way to pick on the only two I have left because of her. I have to watch her all the time. Be warned if you get the Silvers.
agreed i have one silver and she is super aggressive. I actually watched her take down a guinea one day!

She sounds like the one I have. The bigger silvers do not do what the little one does. She pecks on the top of the head until she draws blood. You can have mine then you'll have a pair (humor).
barnie.gif

Um, well, I guess it depends on the chickens. I had 5 Golds and couldn't get rid of them fast enough The only way I can describe it was as a Gang Mentality. If one GW started in on another chicken, the other 4 swooped in like hit men - er, girls - and joined the in fray. I know you've seen several chickens with heads down in the center of a circle and hineys facing out when they find a tasty something. In this case the tasty something those five would find was one of the other chickens. Grrrrr

Um, well, I guess it depends on the chickens. I had 5 Golds and couldn't get rid of them fast enough The only way I can describe it was as a Gang Mentality. If one GW started in on another chicken, the other 4 swooped in like hit men - er, girls - and joined the in fray. I know you've seen several chickens with heads down in the center of a circle and hineys facing out when they find a tasty something. In this case the tasty something those five would find was one of the other chickens. Grrrrr
Its wyandottes in general.....the books ive read warn that they can be aggressive regardless of color....its the individual chicken. In my case my silver is aggressive but my golds are not....im sure many others have had the opposite experience.

Last edited:
Winona, my gold-laced, is the sweetest chicken in the bunch. On second thought, though, maybe I won't get any more after all your experiences!

I actually found someone in my area who hatches Buckeyes. In the spring, I am going to get a few. I used to have a couple, and they are the friendliest chicken ever! It makes their day to be able to follow you around and hang out with you. They are also vocal, and make different kinds of noises than the other chickens (at least mine did.) They are low on the pecking order, so can't keep them with more assertive breeds. Can't wait for spring!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom