2016 BYC Calendar - Your Pictures Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winona, my gold-laced, is the sweetest chicken in the bunch. On second thought, though, maybe I won't get any more after all your experiences! 

I actually found someone in my area who hatches Buckeyes. In the spring, I am going to get a few. I used to have a couple, and they are the friendliest chicken ever! It makes their day to be able to follow you around and hang out with you. They are also vocal, and make different kinds of noises than the other chickens (at least mine did.) They are low on the pecking order, so can't keep them with more assertive breeds. Can't wait for spring! 
Buckeyes are great....I really want some barnevelders....I think they are gorgeous.

I have a buckeye roo and he is definitely not bottom of the pecking order. In fact if it had not been for him my Marans hens would have been dinner. They were attacking other birds and the day my roo was released to the run they all gang attacked him. He whooped them all at once. He is now a bit stand offish but friendly enough until you annoy a hen. Then he is ready to fight. With the predators around here that makes him pure gold in my book. I have 4 buckeye hen chicks he will be getting as Christmas presents grin. I'm building extra coops so I can separate them by breed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom