2018 Babies!

So what's everyone planning on getting this year? I know once January hit I was already thinking on what to add! Ok fine. I was thinking about it before January. Anyway, newbies for me this year will be Delawares and Appenzeller Spitzhaubens. Also getting back into breeding Slate turkeys and thinking about adding Saxony ducks! What's on everyone's chick lists?
For us it's Swedish Flower Hens and Ameraucanas! Already hatched 1st batch of Ameraucanas, and started the 2nd batch of Swedish Flower Hens.

97D3853A-4D5E-4BD6-A956-49D4EA6298D9.jpeg
448934E3-C532-49AE-9FA6-F78CA5808B78.jpeg
0C527385-E322-4756-BD0E-65EA0DCD01B8.jpeg
So what's everyone planning on getting this year? I know once January hit I was already thinking on what to add! Ok fine. I was thinking about it before January. Anyway, newbies for me this year will be Delawares and Appenzeller Spitzhaubens. Also getting back into breeding Slate turkeys and thinking about adding Saxony ducks! What's on everyone's chick lists?

My new chicks babies arrived on January 31! I’m starting a second batch of ladies so I can supply a second convenience store my friends own in NWAR. Super excited!
5 Ancona
5 Easter Eggers
4 Gold Laced Wyandotte(unfortunately 2 died:(
4 New Hampshire Reds
1 Cream Legbar(man they ask a lot for these babies$$)
They are feathering out well now, but these pics are from the day they arrived :) Let the chick fever begin! :)

Picking up 3 Speckled Sussex pullets tomorrow, the brooder is ready for them. They'll add more color pattern to my year-round dependable Ameraucana & Blk Australorp layers; also the SS have high marks in egg laying & hens sound friendly, so may fit in well with my docile types. Also my broody just hatched 4 chicks. Good for this year now.

:rolleyes: But....... I'm already dreaming, researching & planning on next year; just learned about the lovely Swedish Flower Hens. Best wishes to all.

2-18-18-three Speckled Sussex pullets.jpg
These 3 Speckled Sussex pullets (new breed for me just picked up from the feed store today), & the 4 chicks that hatched in Jan. (Ameraucanas & 2 Blk Australorp crosses) are all my coop can handle very comfortably for the year when they mature. So I'm done, time to dream about next year's plan.Best wishes to everyone with their chicks this year.

Attachments

• -2018 BLUE's 4 chicks at 2 wks.jpg
    -2018 BLUE's 4 chicks at 2 wks.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
791ADB36-C015-4DA0-8B65-FA67134D2902.jpeg
44A9BBFD-73EC-40C9-BD7E-353009975FA2.jpeg
My chicks and ducklings arrived Tuesday night! I picked them up at the post office at 11:00 pm. I’m sure the people at the post office were very irritated with me as I was heckling them all day, whoops.
I originally ordered 12 chicks and 4 ducklings. They sent two extra chicks. One was dead in the box, poor thing and there were 3 that were on their side but alive. However, they unfortunately passed yesterday. *sigh*
So I am down to 10 chicks and 4 ducklings. The ducks did not seem phased at all with the travel and as a first time duck owner, they are such a hoot and ADORBS but terribly messy. I might be crossing over to owning more ducks then chickens in the future.
The new babies; 2 Fawn & White Runners and 2 Blue Swedish.
3 Barred Rocks, 2 Welsummers, 2 Easter Eggers, and 3 Buff Orps!

Cheers!

View attachment 1266544 View attachment 1266545 My chicks and ducklings arrived Tuesday night! I picked them up at the post office at 11:00 pm. I’m sure the people at the post office were very irritated with me as I was heckling them all day, whoops.
I originally ordered 12 chicks and 4 ducklings. They sent two extra chicks. One was dead in the box, poor thing and there were 3 that were on their side but alive. However, they unfortunately passed yesterday. *sigh*
So I am down to 10 chicks and 4 ducklings. The ducks did not seem phased at all with the travel and as a first time duck owner, they are such a hoot and ADORBS but terribly messy. I might be crossing over to owning more ducks then chickens in the future.
The new babies; 2 Fawn & White Runners and 2 Blue Swedish.
3 Barred Rocks, 2 Welsummers, 2 Easter Eggers, and 3 Buff Orps!

Cheers!
Love your stuffed plush toys in with babies, looks cozy & way more cuddly than the wash cloth I put in. Best wishes.

My broody hatched 6 Silkies yesterday and I moved the 4 week olds out to the coop today. My flock doesn’t know what to think about This new gated community with all these dog crates around but I’m happy to have all chickens in the coop and out of the house.
ECFAA357-2080-4A50-9AB1-56DB5833862A.jpeg

449B408A-67B6-4C57-9922-4F6E0B70CE8E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom