21% protein layer pellets?

I think they are from a hatchery, but I'm not totally sure. I got them from my friend who has a lot of chickens. Someone gave them to her, then she gave them to me
You should be fine in a 18% (if you can still get) and it will save you some money in the long run.

Chris

If you got them from a hatchery 18% protein if fine for the Orps, Dominique and Rocks.
If the Orps, Dominique and Rocks are from a breeder 18% protein would be a minimum amount I would feed. (I would feed closer to a 20 to 22% protein if they are from a breeder)

Chris

I am curious, why feed a different protein amount for birds from a breeder?

I am curious, why feed a different protein amount for birds from a breeder?
Birds that are from breeders, bred to the breed standard and not for a mass amount of eggs are much bigger, meatier birds and have a different feather structure than the same "breed" sold by hatcheries. The breeder birds needs and can use the extra protein for proper growth, size, and feather quality.

Chris

The 18% is fine. Supplement with some corn every three or four days and make sure they have plenty of water. Price would be my biggest consideration on this 17-21% layer pellet range.

I fed 16% Purina Layena pellets and my chickens did OK. We also free range in the evenings and/or throw out the vegi scraps to help them get some extra protein and green-age.

Birds that are from breeders, bred to the breed standard and not for a mass amount of eggs are much bigger, meatier birds and have a different feather structure than the same "breed" sold by hatcheries. The breeder birds needs and can use the extra protein for proper growth, size, and feather quality.

Chris

I see, that makes sense. Thank you.

We have a new feed store nearby, and they sell 21% protein layer pellets and crumble. I've been feeding 18%. Is 21% safe?

I feed a 22% protein feed from the day the birds hatch 'till the day they die. You'll probably find that your birds look & do better on the higher protein feed regardless of where they came from.
Here's a question for you. Why would you assume that a feed company would make & sell a chicken feed that wasn't safe for chickens?

Back
Top Bottom