24 hrs post zip

comptonkids

Chirping
Apr 5, 2015
texas
I have a chick that pipped Sunday evening
I'm not sure what time but I noticed the pip after 7 PM
It's currently 940 PM the next day

It has not zipped and its pip has not gotten much bigger than when I first noticed it

I can see some movement but not a lot

It was kicked around quite a bit by other chicks as they stumbled around the incubator

I don't have a humidity thing to see what that is at right now but the water reservoir looks pretty full
15233281429609179499239206799300.jpg
1523328181799360271211422822163.jpg

It is malpositioned. You might give it until morning if, humidity is nice and high, if it still sounds like it has some energy, if it has not been giving distress calls. Often a malpositioned pip takes longer to hatch, since the external pip is also the internal pip. It's a good sized pip. Do you have other eggs pipping? Was this the last one to pip?

Your call whether you assist or not. You might try removing a bit of shell. If all blood is absorbed from membrane, you could remove just a bit of shell at a time and assess. The chick may not be able to proceed because she is malpositioned. Your call. There is an article that you can find if you do a thread search regarding "assisted hatching".

It is malpositioned. You might give it until morning if, humidity is nice and high, if it still sounds like it has some energy, if it has not been giving distress calls. Often a malpositioned pip takes longer to hatch, since the external pip is also the internal pip. It's a good sized pip. Do you have other eggs pipping? Was this the last one to pip?
I've had 3 hatch rather quick
This was the 2nd one I noticed pipping, and ones that started after have hatched
I have at least 1 more that has pipped as well

I haven't really heard much from these last 2

A chick that just started pipping this morning is zipping
So I carefully took some of the shell off the one I'm concerned about and tried to peel back some of the outer membrane

I'm a little concerned about possible shrink wrapping so I put a damp cloth around the egg

I will check on him(her?) In the morning, I don't want to do too much. Especially since this is my first real hatch

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom