26 Weeks - No Crow - No Eggs - Three EE's

10whiskers

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 28, 2014
Florida

Above: Group Pic of all three. There are only these three in this coop.

Above: Ginger, the most outgoing, but does not let you pet her/him but one or two strokes. (Squats when you pet her/his back)

Above: Liza. She/he does not like to be pet, but will eat out of your hand. (All three will eat feed out of your hand) No Squat. Right now, she is lowest in the pecking order. Today, I saw Ginger (Pic above Liza) bullying the other two by not letting them get to food or water. Ginger finally let the others eat after he/she had eaten. Ginger was lowest in pecking order yesterday.

Above: Joonie. is the most skittish. She/he will eat feed out of your hand, but not all the time. In this pic, she's kind of ****** off.

Above: Liza, (with a bit of a scissor beak) Joonie, and Ginger on the end. They all have that "flat head" look. Each appear to have a single comb, but Ginger has a bit of something going on right above her where her single comb starts. They do look boyish to me, but they were sold to me as yet-to-lay pullets and I am a newbie.

I've only had them two weeks. They were in the store for two weeks and before that, I guess where they originated. Until two days ago, it was super hot and humid and lots of construction noise until two days ago.

Do you think these really are girls? I'm hoping they aren't laying because of stress and it's just not their time. Could it also be because the days are growing shorter too? We had a cool front come through two days ago, but in Florida cold is not really cold compared to many of you.

Above: Temp chart for where I live. I think that record low was in 1984 or 1986.

I don't know if you can see in the pictures, but there is patchy feather loss. Nothing to write home about, but I found a few long (but round) feather's in the coup. Also, some small down feather's? Do 26 week old EE's loose feather's other than a molt? (Heat, maybe?)

So, what do you think. Male or Female?

they look like girls to me. What time does it get dark? It gets dark about 7 around here, and all my girls have totally stopped laying. Chickens (most i should say...certain breeds lay through the winter) go by how much of the day is light. Factory's use lights for longer periods in the winter so the hens don't stop laying. I've never lived in florida so i don't know what its like down there. Also some chickens just take longer to start laying. I had some hens that were 8 months before they began, which i thing is uncommon, but it don't know. They are really pretty :) Good luck!

Cyan Night, 33 weeks! Oh jeez. I've read about supplemental lighting. I think I will be using that method (after the girls
big_smile.png
) have had time to get used to their new home.) With our mild winters, it seems like it would be more humane to have them lay in Winter than in our sweltering Summer heat. Thanks for the vote for pullets. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cityfarmer 12, Today, civil twilight was at 7:17EDST. Thanks for saying they are pretty. I think the "flat head" type makes them look boyish, but I like that type of head.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael OShay, You've helped me in the past. Thanks for the P for pullets.
yesss.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BantamLover21 and Wyandottes7, It looks like you've given decisive pullet votes, too. Thanks!
celebrate.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just all too happy to see these pullet votes. I'll be back, though. I have six five week old chicks in my brooder pen. The online hatchery checked all EE pullets on the invoice, but two of them don't even look like EE's. One is still pure white. I guess, though, EE's can come in all colors. Still, all white and no hint of green in the legs? I'll wait to show pics when their hormones kick in. I think it was around 7-8 weeks for the last batch.
duc.gif

I have an Ameraucana mix that has not laid yet. She was hatched in February so that makes her somewhere around 35 weeks (I lost track of time). I do believe she was molting in August and September, so that might be why she hasn't laid yet. Meanwhile, I'll keep waiting...

They look like Americuna pullets to me. You have only had them a short time. They could be in a moult. What are you feeding? Boost protein and give them greens like kale.

The squatting is a sign of eggs soon to come. I would say another week...maybe two. You'll see her comb darken and she'll take a sudden interest in the nests. She may even be laying already but they could be soft shell or shell-less eggs and they could be eating those before you even get a chance to see them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom