27 chickens, 3 groups, 6 weeks age difference...when to start "Layer Feed"

FireGurl26

Songster
8 Years
May 4, 2016
U.P. Michigan
So, I have this dilemma. I have 6 RIRs ....21 weeks old, 6 Barred rocks and SIlver laced Wyandottes...15 weeks old, 15 Orpington and Brahmas....9 weeks old. My RIRs are now laying. I have oyster shell available to them in seperate feeder. But I am still feeding "Starter/Grower" to all my girls. I am afraid to start "Layer feed" with added calcium...as my other girls are still younger. Obviously, you can't seperate which feeders each chicken goes to. I definitely cannot keep them in different coops either. Plus it would stress my older girls out since they are used to this home. Do I just wait till all the chickens are laying age before I start feeding "Layer Feed"? It doesn't seem my RIRs are interested in the oyster shells. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks.

You are doing just fine, as long as the feed is not medicated. Many people never buy layer feed. Keep them on a starter or multi flock ration all the time and supplement with oyster shell. This is really superior in nutrition to layer feed. As long as your feed is at least 16% protein, you're doing great.

You are doing just fine, as long as the feed is not medicated. Many people never buy layer feed. Keep them on a starter or multi flock ration all the time and supplement with oyster shell. This is really superior in nutrition to layer feed. As long as your feed is at least 16% protein, you're doing great.
Sounds good. Yah my feed is 18% protein.

Back
Top Bottom