27% game bird feed for chicks

Joelbhaiti

Hatching
Jul 14, 2023
Hello,
I am feeding my chicks 27% game bird starter to get them started but am having some die, mostly Rhode Island reds. Is there a chance the protein is to high for day old chicks?

How old are the chicks?
I've never had problems feeding high protein feed to chicks. I've fed 22% - 24% protein with a 29%(Animal protein) Ration mixed in without deaths. But I didn't add the ration every day. Just every other day.

Hello,
I am feeding my chicks 27% game bird starter to get them started but am having some die, mostly Rhode Island reds. Is there a chance the protein is to high for day old chicks?
Welcome to BYC! :frow

I've raised chicks on 30% protein turkey starter with no ill effect to the birds. Excess protein gets excreted as extra smelly and expensive waste (poop). (not ideal or needed but was a breeding project)

Chicks can die for many reasons.. sometimes easy to discern depending on age.. a few ideas.. if very young.. shipping stress, pasty butt, unseen abnormalities/digestion issues past yolk absorption, not connecting with food/water. If slightly older coccidiosis.

Back
Top Bottom