Baby chicks are constipated

WillemdeJong

Hatching
Mar 9, 2024
I’ve got 2 week old chicks and they have stuck poop. It’s not pasty butt, spent the first week dealing with that, now I got 3 of the 28 that can’t seem to poop. They push and push and only a little comes out. Their rectum protrudes fairly far out when trying to poop. I have only fed them starter feed and some egg yolk to help with the pasty butt issue. Oddly enough all 3 are Rhode Island reds. I’ve helped one get some out, and I also tried to get a bit of coconut oil in them as suggested by a person on here. I’ve also put a dab of olive oil on their butts to help it slide which I also read on here. None of these recommendations seem to work. Feeling a bit helpless here.

It helps not using cold water as well. I've had good luck w/ my last batch from letting the water get to a luke warm and it prevents pasty butt/aids in digestion. Also not adding any vitamins/minerals as well. But @nuthatched's suggestion is another way to make sure they get hydrated and help with bowl movements.

Hope they start pooping soon!

Yup…mash is the way. Warm water mixed in with electrolytes is what I use. Mix it so every area is moist.
Som people make it soupy, I make it to the point where it’s like “woops, I left my cereal soak in milk for too long” texture.

Very new to chicks here but I had one baby do the same thing. Her anus was as big as a small olive. I thought for sure I’d lose her. I soaked her bottom in warm water (for at least 10 minutes )and rubbed it with cotton 3 times a day for a week. Then once a day for 3-4 days. Also rubbed coconut oil on it after the bath. She’s now been fine for 2 weeks. I hope you can help your baby. I couldn’t believe how happy I got when she did a giant poop 😂

Last edited:
I’ve got 2 week old chicks and they have stuck poop. It’s not pasty butt, spent the first week dealing with that, now I got 3 of the 28 that can’t seem to poop. They push and push and only a little comes out. Their rectum protrudes fairly far out when trying to poop. I have only fed them starter feed and some egg yolk to help with the pasty butt issue. Oddly enough all 3 are Rhode Island reds. I’ve helped one get some out, and I also tried to get a bit of coconut oil in them as suggested by a person on here. I’ve also put a dab of olive oil on their butts to help it slide which I also read on here. None of these recommendations seem to work. Feeling a bit helpless here.
Hi. I feed mine a bit of Probios probitics. It helps by adding beneficial bacteria to their gut. You can usually find Probios at Tractor Supply. It is a multi species probitic. I've used this on all my flocks and had great results. It will help them with their issues. It's powered an I add a small amount to their water. It should help. Let me know how it goes. Best wishes

Back
Top Bottom