2wk old chick huge chest - impacted crop??

Amandawhite

Chirping
Apr 2, 2020
Virginia
I'm brand new to chickens. I have 6 chicks who are 2 weeks old. (I don't know what breed they are) 3 are small brown and 3 are yellow. The yellow ones are now more than double the size of the brown ones! My concern (other than wondering if these yellow ones are actually meat birds) is that they, specifically one chick has a HUGE chest. I researched a little bit that led me to an impacted crop. The only thing is that it is not hard. it feels very soft. (I'll try to attach a picture for reference.) I haven't done any treatment yet. Considering giving some oil via a dropper and massaging. I just removed her from the other chicks. It looks like her poo is pretty firm. All the other birds I've seen poo is on the watery side. She still seems to be eating and drinking water okay. I clean/replace their water 1-2 times per day. When I go to check on the chicks, they all get up and jump around but the giganto yellow ones are quick to lay back down.

Attachments

• 20200402_110927.jpg
    20200402_110927.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 24
I just removed her from the other chicks. It looks like her poo is pretty firm. All the other birds I've seen poo is on the watery side. She still seems to be eating and drinking water okay.
Put the chick back with others.

Crop is not having issues if chick is still active, eating and drinking. Don't do treatment.

All urate pass at the same time as poo... unless it's bright yellow or or bright green, or bright red... I wouldn't worry too much.

You very well may have gotten a Cornish cross chick... and just able to see the crop better on that one.

If it stops eating or drinking and starts sleeping while others are eating then is the time to worry.

And just for information... sour crop can be similar without being hard... usually squishy I think like dough.

Post a photo of all together if you'd like some breed ideas. :)

Ya, I think you might be right about those being meaties. :loveThe other possibility being the brownish ones bantam??

I see a straight comb with clean legs... maybe buff Orpington. :pop
They are turkeys!!! Tractor supply gave us turkey! I shared pics with a friend and did some image searches. I'm 99% sure the big yellow ones are turkeys 🤦‍♀️
We are also thinking that the little ones are isa brown

They are turkeys!!! Tractor supply gave us turkey! I shared pics with a friend and did some image searches.
I did wonder about this, and even zoomed in trying to see the comb/snood... Got a better pic?! :pop

If you're going to keep them... try to find a higher protein game bird or turkey starter... preferably 28- 30%... it won't hurt the standard chicks. If they are indeed turkey poults... their probably/possibly also broad breasted whites..

ETA: But still eating and all just fine... nothing impacted?

Back
Top Bottom