3 Buff Orpingtons with Bent Toes

dogsmum

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Hello everyone,

I have 11 five and half week old chicks a mix sort and noticed this morning that all 3 Buff Opringtons have one bent toe. It's the inner left toe on their right leg ( all 3 of them). They are not swollen move in the joint well just that they bend out and backwards instead of straight. What do you think it is? A genetic thing? A defiencey? None of the other chicks have this. (Australorps, Silver Laced Wyandottes and Americaunas). They don't seem to be bothering them but it's the same toe on all 3 Buffs. Very interesting.

Thank you for any suggestions and help.

Did you hatch these chicks?

I am guessing genetic or diet, but it is just a guess.

All three, the same one? Genetic
hu.gif

Hi,

I did not. They all came from a hatchery in New Mexico. I can't remember starts with a P I think. I had Ranch Way feed get them. They seem fine just a little odd that it's the same toe on all 3 Buffs that is bent backwards. It moves in the joint and is not swollen. I'm thinking genetics too. I don't know how they could wouldn't have problems these hatcheries pump out so many chicks each spring. That is another question I have. One of the Buffs is a rooster and so if we ever did decide to have one of our hens raise babies would they be inbreeding?

dl
waverly, co

Privett Hatchery. I have a few of their chicks (well they are 2 yr olds now).

Personally, if they were my birds..........I would not breed them unless I was planning on using the offspring for meat. I just would not want to pass on "bad genetics".

I actually have a bit of it going on in my flock - I have a white cochin (large fowl) from Privett. I did not notice when she was a chick that she has a shortened outter toe (Brachydactyly - http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations2.html#gen_mut_toes ). I did not notice it until I had hatched some of her chicks (she is a fantastic broody and wanted more broodies). ALL of her chicks have a deformed outter two.

I no longer hatch her eggs and her daughters will be culled this fall - none have gone broody yet.

There are lots of great Orpingtons out there - I would keep my eyes open for others or order chicks from someone who breeds them (heritage style Orpingtons) - Hinkjc is a BYC member with fantastic fowl. You will be amazed at the difference in size between a hatchery bird and a heritage bird.

The buff on the left is a Priviett Orpington - she is 7 months older than the bird on the right. Bird on the right is a heritage Orpington

31162_dsc_0305.jpg

Thank you for the information. Very good to know. This is our first time with chickens so we are learning a lot. We plan on eating the eggs and not allowing any to hatch and if someone goes broody we'll have to wait it out. I don't eat chicken so they will get to be old ladies but next time we get more chicks I will definately look into heritage breeds. Today is thier second day outside, as it's getting warmer here, and they are doing dirt baths in the sun. Never thought I'd love and enjoy chickens so much. Eva, one of our Americaunas wants to live with me on my shoulder she cries when I leave the coop. But I'm hoping she'll start to enjoy being a chicken, she thinks she's a cockatiel. Loved the pictures...made my mom and I miss the desert. We used to live in AZ so noticed the juniper or cedar in pic. Thank you again for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom