3 Day old chicks not eating. What should I do?? PLEASE HELP!!

astylishgirl

Animal Lover Supreme
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Beaumont, Texas
I have 3 of the cutest little BLRW that you ever saw that hatched about 3 days ago. Though I have dipped their beaks, I have yet to see them eat or drink. They were very vigorous when they were born and the still seem strong, but I am worried.

Anyone have this happen? I have NEVER not had chicks eat everything in site before.

What do you suggest?

What do you have the feed in/on? Try sprinkling it on a paper towel so that they can see it on the ground. What type of feed are you using?

As far as drinking, have you tried to redip? I've had chicks that had to be shown a few times before they got the hang of it.

Last edited:
First off-howdy neighbor(from Kountze).

Second, I would add some sugar to the water and dip their little beaks again and again...until I saw them drink.

All the smart people on here suggest feeding a boiled egg(mashed up) to try to get them to start eating.

I might also put a drop or two of PolyViSol vitamins(without iron) on their beaks once a day(since they haven't started to eat).

By the way, you might want to PM a mod and ask them to move your post to Emergencies/Illnesses section to get more attention.

They live on their yolk sack for 3 days. I put them on paper towel and sprinkle the crumbles on the towels and around the feeder. Don't worry they will eat
smile.png

Howdy Neighbor from East Texas.

They are still not eating, but are very active. It is just the weirdest thing to me. I sprinkled some crumble around their brooder so hopefully they will get the hint.

I agree with sprinkling the crumbles on paper towel. I also use cheap plastic bowl lids. Then I use little ramikin bowls. (like you get ketchup in at the restaurant). I buy them at garage sales etc.
I put their water in tiny little clear ramikin bowls also, and I do use water with a little sugar. You also can give them a little bit of yogurt with fruit. I use strawberry. They really like the yogurt. Don't give them a lot. Just a little as a treat. It won't hurt them but you want it to kinda be a treat so they still eat their crumbles.

They don't have to eat the first few days.

Don't let them see you..just sit and listen. When you hear them happily peeping and see them jumping around sneak a peak and you may find them eating. They sleep so much sometimes you think they aren't eating but they are. Don't worry because in a few more days they will be scratching the feed everywhere and jumping around and spilling water and you will fondly remember when they were "neat" and primarily sleeping.
wink.png

When they are older you can put carrots in the food processor and then sprinkle gravel (I use parakeet gravel) over the top. They love it!! Again, use it as a treat once a day or every other.

I love chicks!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom