3 day old Duckling got eye and head pecked by older chicken

photogal76118

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 16, 2014
I have 3 female Rouens and 2 drakes. I also have 3 Rhode Island Red hens and a Buff Plymouth Rock hen. No roosters. My Buff PR became broody so I put some fertilized duck eggs under her. A few days ago, 2 of them hatched and I was not aware. I went out there a couple days ago to check on the eggs and that is when I discovered a live baby duckling, and another one that was dead. The dead one, I'm not sure when it died, how or why, but I did notice it had no fuzzy feathers on the top of its head and you could see its skull. I disposed of it and kept a close eye on the other one. My Buff PR has been a good mommy and keeping her baby warm in the nest.
Today I went outside and saw my Buff and her baby duckling wandering the yard, pecking and scratching. Duckling stayed by her side and all was well. The duckling wandered past one of my RIRs and I saw her Peck the duckling, but just once.
Momma and baby went back to the nest and all was fine.
I go out there a little while ago and see Momma and baby out again, but this time baby is on its back kicking its feet in the air and one of my RIRs is looking over it. I pick the baby up and notice its eye and head had been pecked. It was bleeding a little and obviously in pain. It cannot stand up, it just falls over whenever it tries.
I brought the baby inside and put in a box under a brooder lamp. I dabbed the wounds with some diluted betadine because that's all I have besides colloidal silver spray, not sure if I can use that. I tried to dip its beak in some water to get it to drink but it wont.
What do I need to do to save this poor baby? how do I get it to drink? I'm going to go buy some vetericyn, is there anything else i should do? It will remain inside under the brooder lamp until its old enough to be reintroduced, if it makes it that long.
Momma chicken still has 8 more eggs to hatch that should be hatching soon, so those babies will also come inside once they hatch.
Please help me save this baby.

You really need to place mama hen and the rest of the eggs in a safe part of your coop, you can make something using scrap fencing lattice or what ever you have but to keep her and the ducklings safe they should not be in the general part of the coop.

As for the duckling I think silver spray would be fine to use Also you can use a saline rinse
https://www.muranochickenfarm.com/2014/01/make-your-own-saline-wound-wash.html I'd just take a cotton ball and clean the eye with the saline not pour the saline into the eye? How bad are the wounds? can you post a picture?
Keep the duckling warm and offer water but don't shoot any down the throat since it could aspirate it.
This is where my mamas and chicks or ducklings go to be kept safe. I have 6 week old Runner ducklings IMG_2426.jpeg sleeping in there at night now.
2nd picture is of my pen i have for my little runners it is actually a dog x pen this way if I can't be out watching them they are in this pen and safe and the flock gets to meet them.

IMG_2427.jpeg

Last edited:
It hasnt eaten or drank anything since I found it injured. I'm not sure the last time it ate or drank anything. I'm not even sure how old it is. I discovered it and it's dead sibling 2 days ago but not sure when they hatched or when the sibling died. Momma chicken fluffs up and growls at me when I get too close and tries to peck me. I used a long handled scrub brush 2 days ago to poke her to get her to move so I could check on the eggs and thats when this little one poked its head out. I poked her to make her move some more and that is when I saw the dead sibling. I pushed it out the other side with the brush so I could retrieve it without getting pecked.
Momma chicken is still sitting on 8 eggs that have not hatched yet, but should be hatching any day now, and it's supposed to drop down in the 30's overnight for the next few days. So tomorrow I will find a way to block off Momma chicken and the eggs so the other chickens wont bother her. I've already separated the ducks. And I will keep an eye out for the new hatchlings so I can bring them inside safe from the chickens and so they can stay warm.

Unfortunately the baby didnt make it through the night. Im pretty sure it suffered severe brain damage from the head trauma. Poor thing.
But a couple days later, 2 more eggs hatched. I snatched them up immediately and brought them into the brooder in the house. Momma chicken was not happy with me at all, but she still has 6 more eggs. And Ginger, the killer, stalks the nest anytime chicken momma gets off it, to see if any more have hatched to kill. 😩 So I'm keeping a very close eye on the other eggs.
The two that recently hatched are doing very well in the brooder.

If that is the temp it's way too high for ducklings, chicks yes but ducklings don't need that high of heat. Most of us start ours out at 85 and each week go down 5 degree.
They sure are adorable little twins ♥️

Back
Top Bottom