Advice please...my duckling is limping--I think she is injured!

Nov 22, 2023
Northeast Florida
Good morning! I have four ducklings from Metzer. They were one week old yesterday. Since they arrived, I've been feeding them fermented feed (Nature's Best Organic Duck Crumbles) sprinkled liberally (probably a full teaspoon) with Bragg's Nutritional Yeast at every feed. I feed them about a quarter cup of the fermented feed probably 5-6 times per day--I refill whenever they empty their little bowl. I also give them diced fresh herbs/greens 2-3 times per day, sometimes sprinkled in their water, sometimes in another little bowl. I also sprinkle chick grit onto their food every time I feed them. The Nature's Best has "niacin supplement" in the ingredient list and the Bragg's NY has 35mg niacin per two tablespoons.

Okay, that should rule out any niacin deficiency risk, right?

So this morning, I said hello to all the ducklings before taking their paint roller pan thingie out of their brooder, and they all looked great. I took all their nasty dirty stuff outside to clean it and then brought the paint roller pan back first before heading to the kitchen to refill their water and food containers. When I came back with the water, my jumbo pekin, Mae (who is my second smallest bird after my magpie--so not really jumbo at all lol), was laying under her EcoGlow while her sisters were all going crazy waiting for food. That's not like her. Then when she came out, her left leg was splayed out to the side and she was limping! 😟

I finished adding fresh bedding to the brooder and gave them all food, but I separated her into a large plastic bin to give her some food and water because there was no way she could compete with her sisters with an injured leg. She is walking on it, but limping. I chopped some fresh comfrey and she ate a teeny bit, and I put some in her water and she drank some. I put my little Magpie in the plastic bin with her to keep her company, but ended up moving both back to the brooder with their BIG sisters (my Buff and Blue Swedish) because they seemed distressed at being separated. They're all resting now but what do I do for my Mae?? I'm wondering if she got her foot stuck in the paint roller pan thingie? There is no sign of any external injury or abrasion and no swelling either. What on earth could have happened? Please help. I love these little babies so much already. 💗

Last edited:
Got some photos! P1000136.JPG P1000140.JPG P1000145.JPG P1000149.JPG P1000154.JPG

What is the paint roller thing for? If you can get a video up that would help us see how she is walking and if it is a slipped tendon. You may be able to feel if it has slipped out by examining both legs and gently feeling along the back of both and comparing whether she can put the injured leg all the way down on the surface like the uninjured one or lay her on her back and see if you can stretch the injured leg all the way out. Just in a normal position. Could she have been stepped on? another possibility.

What is the paint roller thing for? If you can get a video up that would help us see how she is walking and if it is a slipped tendon. You may be able to feel if it has slipped out by examining both legs and gently feeling along the back of both and comparing whether she can put the injured leg all the way down on the surface like the uninjured one or lay her on her back and see if you can stretch the injured leg all the way out. Just in a normal position. Could she have been stepped on? another possibility.
Hi @Miss Lydia , thank you for responding! I just uploaded a video. She is still limping pretty badly and now she just wants to lay down (I think she is in pain!).

There is no way she could have been stepped on by anyone other than her sisters. They were all hatched on Monday, the 20th (according to Metzer) but my Buff and Blue Swedish are bigger than she is (and much bigger than my magpie). P1000161.JPG P1000165.JPG (Photos show my Buff next to my Magpie, and my Blue Swedish on the EcoGlow--she is the same size as my Buff. Mae, my pekin, is a little bigger than my Magpie but smaller than the other two.)

it looks like she is favoring it but at least she is putting it down and trying. I don't think she has splay leg which would require hobbles. You mentioned the paint thing is there any place on it where she could have gotten her foot caught? or could she have gotten stepped on by one of your larger ducklings? You could try some warm Epsom salt wraps just put warm water and Epsom salt in a bowl and mix so the salt is blended into the water then take a soft cloth like a washcloth and soak it wring it out so it isn't dripping and wrap jer leg until the cloth starts to cool you can do this many times a day. Also, she needs along with the other 1 Tablespoon of Nutritional yeast for each cup of feed. At the age they are and her being Jumbo Pekin the Nutritional yeast is very important. I have 10 week old Runner females and each water changing they got liquid B complex in their water and nutritional yeast over every cup of feed they got.
Hopefully with rest and some extra niacin she'll be back up walking without pain.

The paint roller tray is a simple metal tray and the wire rack that goes with it...it's to pour paint in and roll the paint roller on the wire rack. It was obviously brand new, lol. I got the idea from a youtube video...I put her water container on top of it so all the splashings go in the tray and not in the bedding. But since she's gotten injured, I took it out of the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom