3wk old duckling suddenly having trouble walking/falling over

You are a blessing, thank you! Ordered one.

Cheerio and Pete the Cat have been taking their doses. I really think that its the same thing affecting them, whatever it is. But it's affecting Cheerio the welshie worse than Pete the appleyard. If Cheerio gets stressed or tired out that's when she starts flipping on her back and can't get back up. They're both able to get around to eat and drink. Gonna let them rest and keep up on their niacin doses and see how they are after a day or two.

Update:
So the other day Cheerio the Welsh was walking stiffly and falling over. Pete the appleyard was just walking stiffly.

Today Cheerio is doing much better. However, Pete is doing about the same, perhaps worse. Vid below. Cheerio is comfortably walking around while Pete just wants to sit on her hocks.

Here's a couple vids of just Pete showing her actually walking:

I can't think of what could be going on (that I can do anything about) other than possibly niacin deficiency, welcoming any ideas. Gonna continue the dosing and see how they're doing. I've been doing 0.35mg three times daily for both of them as per the recommendation in the sticky.

I can’t think of anything other than niacin deficiency. Was she like this when you brought her home? I would def keep up with what you’re doing. Are you also giving warm water therapy?

I can’t think of anything other than niacin deficiency. Was she like this when you brought her home? I would def keep up with what you’re doing. Are you also giving warm water therapy?
They were both perfectly healthy and active up until a couple days ago when I made this thread.

I'll try the warm water therapy! I've been avoiding moving or stressing them too much. Ever since this issue cropped up they've been very touch averse. But I think we can manage it.

Thank you!

They were both perfectly healthy and active up until a couple days ago when I made this thread.

I'll try the warm water therapy! I've been avoiding moving or stressing them too much. Ever since this issue cropped up they've been very touch averse. But I think we can manage it.

Thank you!
Warm water therapy is so good for them even if just 5 mins let them swim around with supervision then pat dry and right back under heat. They will love it.The water just deep enough they can swim and still stand up if they want. I forgot to mention the water helps to take pressure off the legs and hopefully will help your little one to use her legs more.

Last edited:
How’s the ducklings?
Cheerio the Welsh seems totally recovered! I will continue to dose her for a couple weeks.

However, Pete the appleyard is still about the same. She's maybe a bit better. Today I started upping her dose from 100mg/day to 150mg/day, let's see how that does.

Thank you for checking in :)

Back
Top Bottom