3wk old duckling suddenly having trouble walking/falling over

Great news on Cherrio!

I hope the extra amount will get her through this.
Thanks for updating. Keep up the water therapy too. We're pulling for Pete.
Hi, unfortunately Pete hasn't gotten any better nor worse. On 150mg per day. I'm thinking of taking her (or a video of her) to the local country vet but i doubt it will accomplish anything honestly. He's a wonderful very knowledgeable fellow who sees basically any kind of animal, and I'd trust him to stitch up my ducks and treat their wounds, but not necessarily expect him to know the ins and outs of duck ailments if you know what I mean.

You can see Pete hobbling in this vid.

Plus some things are just very hard to diagnose. Since most lameness and hobbling usually means a niacin deficiency and then we put them on B Complex it and nothing changes makes you wonder what else is going on.This link talks about Rickets in chickens but i wonder if getting the supplement pack by Durvet with D3 might be worth trying on Pete?
https://www.dare2dreamfarms.com/post/chickens-and-rickets-nutritional-deficiencies-explained
Thank you! I will read up and try that.

How did the dosing go? Same position as you over here. Too small of ducks to syringe. Maybe a few drops if I can.
If very young then a drop at a time right inside the bill let them swallow before doing it again. Never shoot any liquid down their throats too easy for them to aspirate. If you have mealworms you can also try putting the B complex over them if younger than 2 weeks I crush them in my hand before giving them to ducklings.
@Whitsr are you asking about the liquid B Complex?

And feeding anything other than their starter they will need chick grit set out in a separate container they will use it as they need it.

How did the dosing go? Same position as you over here. Too small of ducks to syringe. Maybe a few drops if I can.
If you were talking about the D3, I bought it but I haven't actually used it, because Pete is suddenly showing improvement! Hadn't changed anything, still just dosing B complex. Maybe the niacin took a bit to kick in for her. No clue.

I soak the B complex in freeze-dried mealworms.

If very young then a drop at a time right inside the bill let them swallow before doing it again. Never shoot any liquid down their throats too easy for them to aspirate. If you have mealworms you can also try putting the B complex over them if younger than 2 weeks I crush them in my hand before giving them to ducklings.
@Whitsr are you asking about the liquid B Complex?

And feeding anything other than their starter they will need chick grit set out in a separate container they will use it as they need it.
Yes! She was too stressed out trying to get in the bill, so we added some water with some drops, and have done mealworms soaked in some water and b complex, hoping that helps.

Back
Top Bottom