All advice for raising ducklings please

Anyone around to help????? I started a new thread but think some chicken eggs that look like the duck eggs got mixed in!!! I have 3 pips I noticed when I was cooling the eggs and getting ready to mist them. I had to remove the turner quickly and put everyone in lockdown but it is only day 20 close to 21. How can I tell the duck eggs from chicken eggs? Do I try to move the duck to my other incubator???? But then it leaves the one with pipped eggs open for a bit?!?!

Yikes!!!! Here is a pic of all the eggs. The red dots are ones that are pipped
Have you candled?

I was candling when I heard peeping. Found the pipped one while candling and it peep. I freaked out it back, quickly checked for more pips and removed the turner and bumped humidity. So yes I did candle but it was fast once I noticed the pip.
Ok, well.... I guess you're getting chicks with your ducklings? :)

You can manually turn the other eggs until the pipped ones hatch. Take the time to candle them all to see which ones have the descended air cells.

Ok, well.... I guess you're getting chicks with your ducklings? :)

You can manually turn the other eggs until the pipped ones hatch. Take the time to candle them all to see which ones have the descended air cells.
One I peeked at I didn't think had slopped but it was pipped. I have chicks set too but not to hatch till next Sat with the ducks! Lol. Should I open it and check air cells now with the 3 pipped or wait? Normally I don't mind doing it quickly but these guys never had a lockdown so have been spinning all day and humidity around 50%. And poor things have been getting misted for the past 10 days!!!

Will the duck eggs be fine with higher humidity from like day 20- 21/22 or so???

One I peeked at I didn't think had slopped but it was pipped. I have chicks set too but not to hatch till next Sat with the ducks! Lol. Should I open it and check air cells now with the 3 pipped or wait? Normally I don't mind doing it quickly but these guys never had a lockdown so have been spinning all day and humidity around 50%. And poor things have been getting misted for the past 10 days!!!

Will the duck eggs be fine with higher humidity from like day 20- 21/22 or so???
I had that happen once, with my OEGB. They hatched earlier than I thought they would and I had been turning them and not upping the humidity. Heck, they were in an egg carton facing up! Went to turn the eggs and found a chick, lol!

Opening the incubator isn't going to hurt them. Upping the humidity won't either. Not for that short period of time.

I had that happen once, with my OEGB. They hatched earlier than I thought they would and I had been turning them and not upping the humidity. Heck, they were in an egg carton facing up! Went to turn the eggs and found a chick, lol!

Opening the incubator isn't going to hurt them. Upping the humidity won't either. Not for that short period of time.
Thanks! To my inexperienced eye with duck eggs or big white chicken eggs they all look the same!!!!

I get confused with some of them too! I keep them separated when I gather for just that reason.
Air cells marked. None seem to be drawing down and seem small for day 21 but I have never hatched ducks. What do u think?

Didn't mark but took a pic of one of the pipped ones. I normally see a pointy beak when I candle chicks that have internally pipped....

Attachments

• IMG_20240427_002711490_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240427_002711490_HDR.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240427_002653510.jpg
    IMG_20240427_002653510.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240427_002343552.jpg
    IMG_20240427_002343552.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1
Air cells marked. None seem to be drawing down and seem small for day 21 but I have never hatched ducks. What do u think?

Didn't mark but took a pic of one of the pipped ones. I normally see a pointy beak when I candle chicks that have internally pipped....
The air cells look good I find that my duck egg air cells don't draw down till after lockdown

That is weird but if it has pipped then it is a weight and see moment
Also I would candle the eggs every time I roll them just to be sure their are no internal pips
Good luck with your duck/chicks

Back
Top Bottom