3 Day Polish Chick - Malnutrition

Jun 18, 2023
Hello,
I got a few chicks from our local farm store which is supplied by Hoovers. This is my first polish, but, I have raised over 100 chicks, so I am not new to chick raising. This baby was pretty small in the cage. She appears malnourished. She is not drinking/eating on her own, however, will eat and drink anything I dip her nose in. She is walking backwards and flipping over (make me think wry neck). I am trying egg yolk, water with chick starter and some sugar. This morning, I added in Nutridrench. Anything else I can do? I want to give her the best odds. 20240306_101822.jpg VideoCapture_20240305-222826.jpg 20240306_140906.jpg

I would feed her the whole egg, just mix it well with a fork. Make some mushy chick feed and feed that as well. Is she having any trouble walking? Give her 2 drops of undiluted NutriDrench twice a day for a few days. Then dip her beak in water as often as you can all day long. Check her for any pasty butt, and clean off if needed. Is she pooping?

I would feed her the whole egg, just mix it well with a fork. Make some mushy chick feed and feed that as well. Is she having any trouble walking? Give her 2 drops of undiluted NutriDrench twice a day for a few days. Then dip her beak in water as often as you can all day long. Check her for any pasty butt, and clean off if needed. Is she pooping?
Thank you, she is only walking backwards and then falls on her back.

No pasty butt, she had a solid poop this morning (on my hand). She had a few watery poops prior to that this morning. I didn't notice/pay attention to any poops yesterday, I got her Tuesday Night. I do have her separate right now, mostly with me and a heating pad. She is currently a lot smaller than 3 of the 5 and they were bulldozing her.

She may be a weak or failure to thrive chick, but I would treat her with vitamins and try to help her survive. Walking backward is a neurological symptom. Human vitamin E 400 IU softgels daily may be helpful, since she needs a little more than what is in the PND.

She may be a weak or failure to thrive chick, but I would treat her with vitamins and try to help her survive. Walking backward is a neurological symptom. Human vitamin E 400 IU softgels daily may be helpful, since she needs a little more than what is in the PND.
Thank you, I have some in my kit, will get that going asap. I hope she pulls through. I guess if not, I know she didn't die by getting smashed in a farm store brooder. Nothing wrong with the farm stores, just not as personal and attentive as I can be with my flock.

Back
Top Bottom