3 dead from ascites? Autopsy help - graphic images of a dead chicken

Abigrayl

Chirping
May 2, 2020
Hi, I've recently had 3 hens die from ascites. The first didn't have an autopsy, the second had sour crop and ascites and the third had just a ridiculous amount of yellow water in the abdomen. There was also less than half a teaspoon of egg yolk in there. There were also small bumps over everything which were not normal.

Please help me.

1 hen was a Potch Koekoek of about 4 years who had a respiratory illness as a pullet and the other 2 were younger Boschfelders I was given who laid XL eggs.

They're on layer pellets, kitchen scraps and whatever they can scratch up in the garden.

I haven't dewormed in a while but I often check droppings and I haven't noticed anything.

They've recently had a mite infestation which I treated with permethrin.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20231120_091708.jpg
    IMG_20231120_091708.jpg
    565.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20231120_091705.jpg
    IMG_20231120_091705.jpg
    873.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20231120_091657.jpg
    IMG_20231120_091657.jpg
    716.2 KB · Views: 24
In the pictures I think there is cancer that has caused the nodules. How did the liver look? Was it discolored, spotty, or tan? Ascites is just a symptom, and can be seen with egg yolk peritonitis, cancer, liver disease including fatty liver, and others. If the cancer is a reproductive cancer, that can be common. But certain viruses, such as lymphoid leukosis and Mareks can cause cancers. There are pictures online of those cancers, and the liver usually is spotted with light colored tumors. Your state vet can do a more thorough necropsy with histology and testing, if you lose another. Sorry for your loss.

I didn't think to check the liver. Sorry I'm very new to this. I'll search online for pictures of chicken cancer. Thank you for the information - I'm so grateful to have a place where I can ask.

I didn't think to check the liver. Sorry I'm very new to this. I'll search online for pictures of chicken cancer. Thank you for the information - I'm so grateful to have a place where I can ask.
Welcome to BYC. This is the place to ask any questions. The pool of knowledge here is wide and deep.

You were definitely thinking ahead. You took pictures to show what you found. Pictures are always helpful.

Back
Top Bottom