3 goslings, difficulty walking

Mrs Fryzzle

Chirping
Mar 16, 2023
Downeast, Maine
I received the 3 goslings, they were a bit wobbly at first- out of the box, but some electrolytes and food and they perked up. they were all doing well until about 5 days old. Then the Toulouse had a great difficulty walking/standing. The other 2 seemed fine. We began to give them peas for a boost. They seemed to love this. They are on Dumor duck feed, 20-22% protien and 35%mcg (37) Niacin. I have read that geese need more like 55%mcg Niacin. They don't seem to like the food. they will bite at it and then shake their head- as if to say Yuck!, then go in again for more, then shake their heads again.... So, I am not entirely sure that they have a niacin deficiency or just starving?
I have since raided Tractor Supply for every B vitamin/ niacin suppliment they have, except the rooster booster- I might as well get that too. My son and I brainstormed a pea/vit B suppliment, scoop of granules, and high end lettuce- blended and then we add some of the crumble and some chick starter in there. They seem to be ok with this mix and are gobbling it up. I have also added the B liquid (pink) into their water, and 2cc of it into them as well.
The toulouse stretches and stands, then sits back down, sometimes on its heels. She is eager to eat and drink, so I help her as much as possible. I kept to the no swimming until about 6 days old, but I did it again just incase they were constipated/ food blockage. and they all poo-ed. Hooray there. I felt their bellys, not their crop, but their underside/ intestinal area and I feel a hard mass. Is this normal? This is what made me think of a blockage... I will swim them again. Freya/ Toulouse stands and swims fully when in the water, very happy!
I forgot to mention, I hear a *snap*crackle*pop* coming from them! Is this possibly from their crops? Is this their crops churning?

I just didn't expect them to be so sensitive. I have raised chicks and ducklings and did not have any of these problems? Is this normal? Am I covering every base- please let me know what you all think or any other ideas. They are too precious to see expire. They are from Metzers, I believe they are good stock...

Last edited:
Pick them up durvet vitamin B complex
Give oral by syringe or on small treat each individually so you know they get the proper dose
For my adult ducks I do 1ml for babies it will be less and @Miss Lydia may have the article to know amount
It will say injectable for cattle but it’s oral with birds
I would also add 1tbs to 1cup feed nutritional yeast
The feed doesn’t have enough for some types of ducks and definitely not enough for geese
Do this till they are 12 weeks then continue sprinkling it on the feed but not as much
This could take a few weeks to a month to see a change so don’t give up right away
Once you see the babies are back walking good go one more week with the durvet B complex then you can stop that but continue the nutritional yeast
This can be bought at TS or online

Attachments

• 68B5C4A5-F8DD-4949-9FB7-2A7C7AD861CC.png
    68B5C4A5-F8DD-4949-9FB7-2A7C7AD861CC.png
    840.5 KB · Views: 9
Definitly switch them to Purina flock raiser as well as @New duck mommy 2021 s suggestions.

Dumor is Tractor Supply’s own brand, I’ve had many issues with it, the quality is in constant flux, it’s usually low quality and old, and what’s in the bag isn’t what’s in the bag on many occasions “sometimes it’s old layer feed.” Dumor is a kinda like a side piece that doesn’t get enough attention or priority.

I received the 3 goslings, they were a bit wobbly at first- out of the box, but some electrolytes and food and they perked up. they were all doing well until about 5 days old. Then the Toulouse had a great difficulty walking/standing. The other 2 seemed fine. We began to give them peas for a boost. They seemed to love this. They are on Dumor duck feed, 20-22% protien and 35%mcg (37) Niacin. I have read that geese need more like 55%mcg Niacin. They don't seem to like the food. they will bite at it and then shake their head- as if to say Yuck!, then go in again for more, then shake their heads again.... So, I am not entirely sure that they have a niacin deficiency or just starving?
I have since raided Tractor Supply for every B vitamin/ niacin suppliment they have, except the rooster booster- I might as well get that too. My son and I brainstormed a pea/vit B suppliment, scoop of granules, and high end lettuce- blended and then we add some of the crumble and some chick starter in there. They seem to be ok with this mix and are gobbling it up. I have also added the B liquid (pink) into their water, and 2cc of it into them as well.
The toulouse stretches and stands, then sits back down, sometimes on its heels. She is eager to eat and drink, so I help her as much as possible. I kept to the no swimming until about 6 days old, but I did it again just incase they were constipated/ food blockage. and they all poo-ed. Hooray there. I felt their bellys, not their crop, but their underside/ intestinal area and I feel a hard mass. Is this normal? This is what made me think of a blockage... I will swim them again. Freya/ Toulouse stands and swims fully when in the water, very happy!
I forgot to mention, I hear a *snap*crackle*pop* coming from them! Is this possibly from their crops? Is this their crops churning?

I just didn't expect them to be so sensitive. I have raised chicks and ducklings and did not have any of these problems? Is this normal? Am I covering every base- please let me know what you all think or any other ideas. They are too precious to see expire. They are from Metzers, I believe they are good stock...
Snap crackle pop is most likely their gizzards at work. Be sure to offer grit

I agree hole hardheadedly with everyone but especially Miss Lidia. When we decide to give them supplements they dont come with what they need to digest them with. I dont offer any vegetables or greens to my babies till they have moist ground to consume. Pebbles to pick up. Grit is usually preaty big for young geese so I wait till they can pick through the ground to see what they need. Not a expert but just my offering.

I agree hole hardheadedly with everyone but especially Miss Lidia. When we decide to give them supplements they dont come with what they need to digest them with. I dont offer any vegetables or greens to my babies till they have moist ground to consume. Pebbles to pick up. Grit is usually preaty big for young geese so I wait till they can pick through the ground to see what they need. Not a expert but just my offering.
Yes for young poultry chick grit is the best to have on hand.

Pick them up durvet vitamin B complex
Give oral by syringe or on small treat each individually so you know they get the proper dose
For my adult ducks I do 1ml for babies it will be less and @Miss Lydia may have the article to know amount
It will say injectable for cattle but it’s oral with birds
I would also add 1tbs to 1cup feed nutritional yeast
The feed doesn’t have enough for some types of ducks and definitely not enough for geese
Do this till they are 12 weeks then continue sprinkling it on the feed but not as much
This could take a few weeks to a month to see a change so don’t give up right away
Once you see the babies are back walking good go one more week with the durvet B complex then you can stop that but continue the nutritional yeast
This can be bought at TS or online
Thank you for your advice!
I ran out and found the Durvet Vb3 complex.
I gave them shy of 1cc each in the morning, 3cc in their .5 gallon waterer, and 1-2cc in their food puree mix. As soon as the next day I could tell they were feeling better. I am on day 4 and there has been an absolute recovery!! That was absolutely it, what they were missing.
I also switched their food, to the Purina All Flock. The pea puree, I just mixed the feed in with the peas and they love it! I added some complex to their waterer, and by the end of the day they have drank it all... eaten it all the food too, have to feed them 2x a day! Which is what I expected to be doing. I am even glad to see the pine-fluff getting messy!
They are fuller, healthier, larger, standing, swimming, zooming, and growing better.
Thank you so much for your help. :D :D I do plan on continuing, just as you recommended. We may not be entirely out of the woods yet, but are doing well.

Heidi

Thank you for your advice!
I ran out and found the Durvet Vb3 complex.
I gave them shy of 1cc each in the morning, 3cc in their .5 gallon waterer, and 1-2cc in their food puree mix. As soon as the next day I could tell they were feeling better. I am on day 4 and there has been an absolute recovery!! That was absolutely it, what they were missing.
I also switched their food, to the Purina All Flock. The pea puree, I just mixed the feed in with the peas and they love it! I added some complex to their waterer, and by the end of the day they have drank it all... eaten it all the food too, have to feed them 2x a day! Which is what I expected to be doing. I am even glad to see the pine-fluff getting messy!
They are fuller, healthier, larger, standing, swimming, zooming, and growing better.
Thank you so much for your help. :D :D I do plan on continuing, just as you recommended. We may not be entirely out of the woods yet, but are doing well.

Heidi
That’s so great to hear :)
Keep us posted

goslings are growing soo well, they are getting so big! The youngest/ toulouse is fine walking, just is a bit bow-legged now... I have seen videos where one put a straw and bandage wrap on their legs to widen their stance? any advice on this? ideas for her leg correction?

Back
Top Bottom