3 Goslings on their way

J
Geese are much larger than chickens and ducks, they have different reproductive organs, and require a different diet, so it's better to keep them separated. Geese are much louder + bigger, need more room, eat more grass, and don't produce many eggs every year, compared to other poultry. Make sure you already have a set up ready for them before they arrive, they grow very fast and get big, quick. When you first get them, try not to interact much because it might stress them out. Place them in their brooder with room temp water, small poultry starter crumbles, soft bedding, and a heating source, preferable a heating lamp until they're a little older to recognize that a heating/brooder plate can keep them warm, too. When they are 7-10 days old, ( When you get them, they'll be around 3 days old, so 4-7 days after you've had them. ) make sure to take them off of the raiser and switch them to poultry raiser crumbles. Geese are waterfowl, so they need plenty of water, and they will make a mess of it. I don't suggest letting them be in water until they're close to a week old. When they can be in water, make sure both of their feet can touch the surface, this prevents them from drowning. Drinking and swimming water should always be warm, never cold or hot. You'll quickly notice that the goslings will become attached to you, their owner. The temperature in the brooder should be at 95 degrees F, and lowered every week. READ MORE ABOUT THAT>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's a lot to cover, so here's some links to read to learn more about caring for goslings:

1. Care Recommendations For Goslings
2. Seting-Up A Gosling Brooder
3. Gosling Care Guide
4. How to Raise and Care for Geese
5. Housing Geese
6. Geese Companions
7. Male To Female Ratio: Geese
8. The Beginner’s Guide to Keeping Geese
9. Beginner's Guide to Raising Geese
10. How to Introduce Geese to Existing Flock
11. Tips: When to Introduce Goslings Outside
12. Are Geese Right For My Farm

** I hope this all helps! **Just wanted to say, your post was very helpfull! Thank you for finding and posting these sites for me, they were excellent. I really appreciate it.
Heidi

I have 3 goslings coming April 3rd. I have chickens and ducks, but am wondering -really- how much this decision is going to change our lives ?
I have watched every video on YouTube on raising and caring for Goslings, issues that could come up associated with goslings when they arrive (via mail), etc.
I was wondering if anyone had any advice for their coop/hut? what to expect when they come in the mail- get home? Interactions tips for when I merge them in with the rest of the flocks? Really Anything.
Thank you soooo much!

Heidi F
Just one note...I am rather new to chickens 1yr and have recently gotten 3 pilgrims, now 3.5 weeks old. Chickens and geese both have their own buildings on the same outdoor yard. Both have automatic doors for nighttime sheltering.
Got the goslings outdoors full time at 1 week with heat lamp (40 degree nights) and had "look but no touch" fencing between them and chickens for about a week+. At about 3 weeks I started allowing goslings gradual, monitored contact with 7 chicken/1rooster flock. But I was shocked at how the goslings, albeit a little pack, were in no way scared of the chickens. I thought, geez, do they already know that they will be way tougher than the chickens in 3 more weeks?
Anyway, things are going well so far. I could be lucky or the personalities of the individual geese might just be conducive to mixing with chickens. Hopefully as they get older, they will continue to be blase about the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom