3 momma hens on one clutch

Kouzelnik

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2023
I have 3 hens all sitting on one clutch. Hasn't happened before. I'm wanting to know if this will overheat the eggs. Also, will it confuse the chicks when they hatch? Who will be the mom?

I have 3 hens all sitting on one clutch. Hasn't happened before. I'm wanting to know if this will overheat the eggs. Also, will it confuse the chicks when they hatch? Who will be the mom?
No it won't over heat the eggs but the moms will likely fight over chicks. You need to break 1 or 2 of their broodiness

No it won't over heat the eggs but the moms will likely fight over chicks. You need to break 1 or 2 of their broodiness

I entirely agree with you.

When I had this happen, my two hens tried to "co-parent" for about a day, and then the bossier of the two hens took over both chicks (there were only two) and the second hen lost interest and was broken of broodiness.

I would be more concerned about them breaking the eggs by accident than what will happen afterwards.

agreed, break a couple of them .. one broody is bad enough, but three - nothing but unproductive members of your flock equalling less eggs for you and breeding mites and mosquitos in your coop ...

I think it depends on the hens. I've had several co-parent without any issues. The biggest problem I have seen has been from too many on the nest:
  • eggs getting broken
  • not turned correctly
  • pushed out of nest
  • squished chicks
Right now I have two ducks and one chicken co-parenting 4 ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom