3 month evaluation

mossyoakpro

Songster
Jun 9, 2022
South Georgia
My peeps were 3 months old yesterday and boy have they changed!! Here's my evaluation after 3 months:

1. Rhode Islands Reds are buttholes...
2. Read #1 again...
3. Barred Rocks are delightful
4. They love to free range and are very good at it!!
5. Did I mention RIR's are buttholes?
6. They love watermelon
7. They will eat anything they encounter...frogs, lizards, caterpillars and stuff I have never seen before.
8. There are no boundaries...my wife's garden being the main thing :)
9. They love to dust bathe in freshly planted flowers...wife hates them.
10. They make some of the weirdest noises...

It's been quite an experience with them I have to say as I have not had chickens in a long time and forgot how neat they are...next up egg laying in a few months I suppose. Take care everyone!!

My peeps were 3 months old yesterday and boy have they changed!! Here's my evaluation after 3 months:

2. Read #1 again...
6. They love watermelon
7. They will eat anything they encounter...frogs, lizards, caterpillars and stuff I have never seen before.

It's been quite an experience with them I have to say as I have not had chickens in a long time and forgot how neat they are...next up egg laying in a few months I suppose. Take care everyone!!
Don't be dissin' those RIRs :lau

Fencing around the garden or around specific plants / beds really helps. We do the second. Can't expect the chickens to change their minds. It's a worthwhile investment because plants aren't cheap to replace, in money and in labor.

Yep. Fence them in or fence them out.

RIRs do have that reputation for being feisty -- which some people love and others hate.

Wyandottes are worse in my flock.

My SLWs are perfectly well-behaved flock citizens, though they do tend to stick to themselves.

The Mottled Javas had a bit of attitude. Not much, but they didn't get pushed around.

I ended up keeping the biting broody though and she's currently fulfilling her promise of being an EXCELLENT mother.

I recently introduced some young barred rocks and BSLs to my existing flock of EEs and RIRs. I have one large EE that rules them all, but the RIRs are definitely second in command behind her.

The little barred rocks are little sweeties. The BSLs are very friendly as well.

There's not a lot fighting, but I spent a couple of hours sitting by the run with a gallon of water and a small cup, which held about 1/4 C of water at a time. Every time one of the big girls took a peck at one of the new ones, she got a face full of water. I figure if it works for the cats, why not the chickens?

The big girls are now grudgingly sharing the food and the young ladies are pretty good at getting in eating a little and getting out.

I love the RIRs for their consistent laying of XL eggs, but I probably won't add more unless I have a separate place just for them. I'd rather have more, sweet chickens than fewer bullies to get the same output.

Side Barred Rock Story: I was in the run recently and crouched down to do something and one of the Rocks flew up behind me and landed on my knee, then proceeded to settle in and roost there. I petted her for a bit. I didn't have the heart to stand up. She stayed for a good 5 minutes, before finally moving on. My legs were aching, but it was worth it. :)

2. Read #1 again...
6. They love watermelon

First time I saw a hen eat a mouse (alive and whole) I don't know who was more surprised, me or the mouse. I am sure that the mouse was more upset at least for a minute.

Back
Top Bottom