3 Month Old Naked Neck Chicken, Loss of balance, inability to stand.

In the video it looks as if when she puts weight on her leg she topples.
Will do research and try to help you figure this out. If she doesn't improve soon, then I think it might be time to take her to the vet. (My cat is going back to the vet today as she was diagnosed with a severe enlarged heart recently)

Wishes,
Diana

It looks like Marek's to me and she is the right age for it and it suppresses the immune system so if she has diarrhoea, she may also be struggling with coccidiosis as a result of a compromised immune system. The stress of the storm may have triggered it.
Having said that, vitamin deficiency can also cause paralysis and as with coccidiosis, it is treatable. Therefore I would probably treat with Corid first for coccidiosis and then vitamins and in particular Vitamin B2 but only after the Corid treatment is finished as Corid will block the uptake of some of the Vit B. Neither of those treatments can do any harm, so worth trying.

The other possibility is injury and that does look like it may be bruised. If you check in a few days and that redness has turned green, then that would indicate an injury and bruising. Can you check the leg and feel for any heat or possible breaks and see how it moves and compare it to the other one. See if she is able to grip your finger with the same power with both feet.
You could make a sling for her to suspend her in an upright position to make her more comfortable and place food and water within reach. A simple way to make a sling is to put an appropriate sized cardboard box inside an old t shirt and cut two holes for her legs to fit through and one where her vent is to allow poop to drop through, so that she is suspended in the box. I will try to find a link for photos of similar set ups to give you some ideas.

Good luck with her

Barbara

Here we go for a chicken sling link.... this is a cat carrier but you could just use a robust cardboard box... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/713499/my-chicken-sling-pic

Last edited:
She died this morning. She was very weak when I checked her this morning, and she died in my arms. Very slowly closed her eyes and her neck went limp.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not a huge fan of taking chickens to the vets, but I do think it is beneficial to find out why they died, so I would recommend enquiring about sending her for a necropsy. Obviously it won't help her now, but if it is something contagious, it may help you to treat your other chickens and prevent further losses. I don't know where in the world you are located, but I believe some state facilities in the USA offer a free service, so that may be worth looking into. I do basic DIY post mortems(necropsies) on any of my own chickens that die, but I know it's not something everyone can stomach. I'm not in a position to do microscopic/bacteriological investigation, but it's very interesting just to check the organs etc and quite often you find a probably cause.

Anyway, I hope it's nothing contagious and you have no more sick birds.

Best wishes

Barbara

They other six birds seem healthy, how would I know if they get sick, before it's too late.

Today I took this image of my other naked neck,

Is the red skin on her high neck indicative of health issues? Or is it just the development of her comb and a normal reddening of her head?
Also, all the pullets are grouping together in one box, despite having two other boxes to choose from. This is concerning because there isn't enough space in the one box for all 6 chickens.
I may be a little paranoid but I don't know how to diagnose issues....

Unfortunately it could be Marek's. I have a Serama with it and he is doing the same, or walking backwards. I have lost 80% of my birds to the disease, even my vaccinated chickens, as it is a horrible horrible disease that keeps mutating

Back
Top Bottom