3 out and one problem please help

greenthumb89

Songster
11 Years
May 30, 2008
pulaski wisconsin
ok i noticed one of the eggs i have is pipping about midnight last night and i stayed up to make sure that it was ok becasue ive read all the horror stories on here about different things going wrong. its been 8 hours since it pipped and it doesnt seem to be doing anything, it still peeps when i talk to it and its peeping made 2 more eggs pip but the problem is should i try and help it get out? would the membrane be all dried out? if i was to intervene i would only take some of the eggshell of not the whole thing? what should i do?

Last edited:
it can take up to 24 hours for a chick to fully hatch out, I had one in my last hatch that was the first to pip and the 5th chick to come out, if you help it to early its yolk sac wont be fully abosorbed and then s/he might die, just keep and eye on it for now if you see movement thats good also, the chick needs to rest so s/he can can come out, Good luck, and keep us updated !!!!
fl.gif

Last edited:
im never going to use an incubator again...all i can say is broody hens. this incubator is fraying my nerves. i like that i did it but now im glad that i have a cochin and a silkie pullets to try and get to go broody for me...

Personally, the only time I've helped a chick out, was when the others have already zipped and they're out, and the struggling chick has been trying just as hard as the others but could only chip away in one area, just taking out a big patch and not able to zip around the shell. I would carefully zip it leaving alittle of it alone like a flap (making sure I don't hurt the membrane). Then taking a warm wet cloth and laying it over the small half of the egg. Within a couple hours, they would pop right out. I've always left the membrane alone so they could get alittle frustrated getting out.

I've had pipped eggs take 2-3 days to hatch... just let them do their own thing in their own time. If they pip and die, there is likely a reason for it. Otherwise, they're just gathering strength for the big kung-fu bust-out!
smile.png
Keep yourself busy, and just leave the incubator closed.
hugs.gif

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

I've had pipped eggs take 2-3 days to hatch... just let them do their own thing in their own time. If they pip and die, there is likely a reason for it. Otherwise, they're just gathering strength for the big kung-fu bust-out!
smile.png
Keep yourself busy, and just leave the incubator closed.
hugs.gif

Very True
smile.png

well i had to take the 3 puffy ones out and i noticed this morning that one that hatched last night has some membrane stuck to its face across its eye. the membrane is really dry and i tried to gently pull it off but the chick goes berserk adn starts to distress peep. what do i do?

Last edited:
I've never had one with membrane on the face, but I have had some with them on the body. What I do is dip my finger in warm water, then put it on the membrane, that usually loosens it up enough to take it off without all the chicks fuzz...

Try dipping a q-tip in warm water and gently wetting the membrane with it. Once it's softened, you should be able to use a gentle rolling motion of the q-tip to loosen it, or remove it with a pair of tweezers.
I use the q-tip method for cleaning pasty bums on chicks and quail, too.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom