3 plus years in, first loss to a predator

duckinnut

Songster
9 Years
Jul 18, 2010
Marshfield, Ma.
Well last night went to close in my larger group for the night and one of the girls was standing on the roost squawking away and I was wondering what was up with her. Then I did my nightly head count and one was missing. Now I have had some escape from their open confines before only to return in the morning but this was different as the usual suspects were on the roost. So flashlight in hand started the search that took around a minute to find her body. Head missing,feathers about and obvious talon marks on her body. She was one of the original group, a RIR, my girl "October" now gone.

I guess 3 years in with a first predator loss is pretty good by standards. I know a lot of us here have lost some in some form of attack, so I should be grateful that it took this long. Knew going in it would happen eventually but doesn't make any less sad. More so because she was an original and on my list of "my chickens".

Never had much of a problem with hawks, as the rooster is always on guard. I have seen them fly over and around for years without even an attempt at the flock. Just hope it doesn't return and force me to do something I would hate to do but my girls come first.

Thanks for listening.

I am so sorry to hear you lost one of your babies. Just breaks my heart. Did the hawk get in their run or did she get out?

Deb
Thanks
I have a covered 16x10 run and 8x8 under coop area plus a 40x70 fenced in area that isn't. By the looks of it she was headed back towards the run when she got grabbed, where most of the feathers are. I have had some die due to illness which kind of stinks but always can't be prevented but a pred kill you can somewhat limit to a degree. Losing one in 3 years to a hawk is a pretty good ratio.

Sorry for your loss. I had one injured last week by a hawk.Good that you have the run. I took everything down except fisihng line in the back. I have been so scared to let mine out they have been locked in the shed for days.

I have lost to illness too,and the predator attacks are way worse.Then top that off with not being allowing to kill the predator.Grrrrrr

Sorry for your loss. I had one injured last week by a hawk.Good that you have the run. I took everything down except fisihng line in the back. I have been so scared to let mine out they have been locked in the shed for days.

I have lost to illness too,and the predator attacks are way worse.Then top that off with not being allowing to kill the predator.Grrrrrr

Thanks. I got a BB gun that I use to scare them off with. It's not strong enough to kill a hawk unless I was 20 feet away and a head shot. Just use it as a deterrent even if they are just minding their own business. Like to let them know this isn't a hunting ground and generally a place not to even hang around at.

Back
Top Bottom