3 week old baby roo mating my hand?

Rogue Gardener

Hatching
Jan 24, 2024
I have a 3 week old roo (I’m certain he’s a roo). His comb is quite developed already and he’s begun mating with my hand today 🫤. I tried google, but nothing comes up for chicks this young. And trust me. He’s attempting to mate. Biting, the scratching and then…yep. But 3 weeks?! That’s crazy young for that already right? Also how to stop him without breaking the trust bond, but let him know that’s not ok? This is gonna end up bad for both of us if he continues.

Attachments

• 5BA71932-EDAD-4AAB-BA61-5449E7AC349B.jpeg
    5BA71932-EDAD-4AAB-BA61-5449E7AC349B.jpeg
    397.9 KB · Views: 26
I agree with the others.

Uh, yeah, you don't want that. It's a sign of dominance at this age and stage (not actual mating behavior) which does not bode well for his temperament. I have broody hatch chicks that integrate early into the flock, so teen boys get the sense pecked into them from chickhood by the older hens who won't tolerate nonsense.

This kind of behavior will also encourage human aggression.

And don't think "breaking trust." Chickens are far more instinctually controlled. In the flock, the older hens would give him a good peck on the head to knock him off, and he'd get the idea that behavior isn't acceptable. It's not a question of trust. It's simple flock response.

If he doesn't get the idea, he would be a candidate for the crock pot in my coop. I don't tolerate aggressive roos. You absolutely don't want to breed that forward.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom