3 week old bantam hen sick

chic-a-deee

Songster
8 Years
Sep 27, 2011
Gold Coast QLD Australia
The hen made it through the night.
lol.png
She is eating, scratching, walking, standing & preening herself.
She just isnt raising her head.
sad.png
She can stand upright, but cant raise her head upward with beak pointing to the sky. So it looks like she is always looking down. The other two chicks can lift their heads up & look at my hand when I put it in their brooder. The 'sick' chick doesnt.
What can the problem be???
big_smile.png

Hi (love ur avatar!!)
She started 2 nights ago....but when the problem was first noticed, she was on the floor, head on floor. She was motionless, & the other two chicks were walking over the top of her & she didnt move. I picked her up. I checked her back & neck. No obvious injury or lumps. I kept her on my chest for warmth & to keep her imobile the whole night.
Tonight, she appears alert. Not sure if she's drinking as yet. As it would be hard for her to raise her head to swallow the water. But shes eating.
The head is drooping down with beak on or close to chest. She is not flopping her head around. She has control enough to peck & preen.

It could be wry neck. Doesn't sound exactly like it but try this. Start putting poly-visol (baby vitamins without iron) in their water. You will see a fairly fast improvement if this is the problem and it won't hurt them if it isn't. good luck!

Back
Top Bottom