3 week old chick won't straighten neck

fish n cheeps

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
I got a little EE chick at the feed store and stuck her and 3 others under my broody hen. They are 3 weeks old now. I noticed on Saturday that her head was all hunched down to her body. She was still active, running with her sisters, and pecking and doing normal chick things. I was worried it was the beginning of cocci so I bought her in the house and started treating her with corid. It's been 4 days now and there has been no improvement. She eats and drinks on her own and has a hearty appetite, her poo is and always has been normal. No blood or anything. She is very vocal and is always chirping away. I have her confined to a small cat carrier in the house. I started treatment for wry neck today, I don't know that that's the problem, but I'm going to try it. I gave her some vitamin E with selenium, and some vit B complex. I'm really at a loss of what to do. She gets around fairly well, but she is a little slower than the other chicks, so I'm afraid to leave her outside. Any ideas or suggestions of what I could do for her?
52008_p1040405.jpg

52008_p1040407.jpg

52008_p1040410.jpg

Aloha. Pretty little thing. She may simply have been injured by a bigger chicken or gotten her head caught somewhere and wrenched her neck. She is eating, drinking and eliminating and not being attacked by others when with the group? I'd ease up and just watch her, but let her be with mama. In a short time she'll be seen as an outsider and you will be raising her yourself from now on. If she shows no improvement you might try a simple natural antibiotic like Silver, cheap and available at health food stores. Give her a dropperful once a day. If she shows signs of being abused you may have to separate her permanently or, maybe even put her down. It could even be genetic. Chicks are fragile and sometimes things just happen. I would let her dictate your response. No pain? Then pay close attention but give her time to get better. Patience is hard, I know. If she seems to be suffering at all, or begins to look that way, then you must decide whether you want her to keep going under painful circumstances. As a last resort, you might call the place where she was purchased and see if any other of the chicks in that batch of eggs showed any anomalies or defects. If so, ask what they suggest. You are obviously very concerned about her and doing your best. No one can ask for more. j mccabe

Back
Top Bottom