3 week old chicks attacking each other!

Counting chickens

Songster
6 Years
Jan 2, 2018
South of Waco...
17 chicks, mixed breeds,
Noticed yesterday that a polish chick was being pecked, head and tail and had intended to separate her today. She was dead this morning.
When I found her, there were 3 others looking similar, but I was late to work.
Wife and kids just found one of the 3 lying down, but still breathing. pulled it out, but I am not holding out hope.
there are probably 6 or 7 showing these spots, some bloody, what do I DO????

Last edited:
3 weeks old, there are 18 in a 2x2x4 galvanized water tank with a wire mesh top. Pine shavings.
Full food and water
It was about half/half, so I pulled out the aggressors.
How long should I keep them separate?
Also, it is 80 degrees here, so I haven't had the heat on during the day.
It was high 60's last night, so It was the 1st night I tried no heat, could that be it/part of it? And should I go buy meds?

They are way overcrowded. They way need more space. Depending upon the degree of injury, it may be necessary to apply antibiotic ointment to the pecked on chicks.

OK, Dang it.
I will run get that after work. Is it a spray?
I was planning on moving them outside into a larger enclosure this weekend, but was just concerned about the night temps still being in the 60's. That's why I was trying no lamp last night...

Also, it is 80 degrees here, so I haven't had the heat on during the day.
It was high 60's last night, so It was the 1st night I tried no heat, could that be it/part of it? And should I go buy meds?
I agree with @sourland too crowded.
Could be some injured now were crushed/at the bottom of the pile if heat was not supplied last night.
I would give more space and provide heat for nightime. 80 during the day may be fine, but you still want to watch behavior, piling on top of one another - they can suffocate and suffer injuries.

Do you have photos of the injured chicks?

I agree with @sourland too crowded.
Could be some injured now were crushed/at the bottom of the pile if heat was not supplied last night.
I would give more space and provide heat for nightime. 80 during the day may be fine, but you still want to watch behavior, piling on top of one another - they can suffocate and suffer injuries.

Do you have photos of the injured chicks?

I'll try to get some pics in a bit.
Working from home and have conference calls all afternoon.
Is there a spray or something for the wounds? Most are just naked skin, but a few have blood, and I know they'll go after that...

I'll try to get some pics in a bit.
Working from home and have conference calls all afternoon.
Is there a spray or something for the wounds? Most are just naked skin, but a few have blood, and I know they'll go after that...
How are they doing?
If there's blood on the fluff, then clean that off.
Triple antibiotic ointment, Vetericyn or even Blu Kote can be used on minor wounds.

Back
Top Bottom