3 week old chick's leg is ripped open, please help! :(

MissLavender

Songster
5 Years
Sep 21, 2018
Clarkdale, Arizona
I have two broody hens raising some chicks who are 2-3 weeks old. I went out to feed the chicks this morning and saw that one of the chicks was limping. I picked him up to see what was going on and found that the skin on the inside of his thigh was ripped open. I have no idea how it could have happened, but the wound looks very, very fresh. The chick is an otherwise normal, healthy chick. I have cleaned out the wound and put antibiotic ointment on it. I don't think I can wrap it, as it's right on the crease of his thigh/abdomen, and it isn't realistic for me to take him to a vet with self quarantine being a thing right now. What else should I be doing? Is there any hope for him? :hit
20200330_110711.jpg

Chickens tend to be quite tough. I have a hen who had a huge hole in her side, and she recovered pretty quickly. I would try to wrap it with some gauze, but if it doesn't work, just make sure to keep it really clean. The most important thing though, is to put some pine tar on her leg so the other chickens don't bother her. It won't hurt her, so you can put it directly on the wound.

Back
Top Bottom