3 week old duckling rejected by mother?

katiecookk

Hatching
Mar 16, 2016
I recently went to a friends house who owns a couple of ducks and some chickens. One of the ducks had babies about three weeks ago but one of them seems to have been rejected from the minute it hatched. It's mother continuously pecks at its back and head whenever it gets close but the duckling continues to call and follow it's mother around. It's back is now red raw and the owners have had to separate the duckling from it's mother and siblings. For the week that they were all together, the duckling was bullied out of food and water and became very weak. Since separation, the duckling is kept on one side of the pen with a couple of chickens (which just about ignore the duckling) but still sticks it's head through the wire fence-- only to get pecked. The owners have had to keep it in a separate cage overnight and while feeding. The owners are planning on relocating the duckling as an orphan soon.
I don't know much about ducks, but seeing this little one breaks my heart! I own a couple of chickens and i am considering adopting it myself... Is this a good idea? what will i need to do to care for it?

I recently went to a friends house who owns a couple of ducks and some chickens. One of the ducks had babies about three weeks ago but one of them seems to have been rejected from the minute it hatched. It's mother continuously pecks at its back and head whenever it gets close but the duckling continues to call and follow it's mother around. It's back is now red raw and the owners have had to separate the duckling from it's mother and siblings. For the week that they were all together, the duckling was bullied out of food and water and became very weak. Since separation, the duckling is kept on one side of the pen with a couple of chickens (which just about ignore the duckling) but still sticks it's head through the wire fence-- only to get pecked. The owners have had to keep it in a separate cage overnight and while feeding. The owners are planning on relocating the duckling as an orphan soon.
I don't know much about ducks, but seeing this little one breaks my heart! I own a couple of chickens and i am considering adopting it myself... Is this a good idea? what will i need to do to care for it?
I had the same thing happen here 4 yrs ago. My mama duck was a perfect brooder but when her duckling began to hatch she freaked out and tried to kill the duckling thankfully I came in to let everyone out for the day and saw her I tried to put the duckling under her but she just kept pecking at his lil head so my dh and I brought it inside and raised it
I took the duckling out daily to be around the other ducks but I was it's mama He is going to be 5 in June and is still bonded to my dh and I has 6 girls of his own too. When you mean relocating does that mean finding a home for it? I hope that doesn't mean they plan on taking it off and releasing it. Please adopt it, Ducklings can eat just what chickens eat but they do need alot of water. They also need to be kept warm until fully feathered. You'll have to introduce your duckling to your chickens slowly and after the duckling is close to it's adult size so they won't bully him/her. I will get you the link to caring for Ducklings. Do you know the breed. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Welcome to BYC,@katiecookk

Last edited:
@Miss Lydia
Thank you so much!
And yes, by relocating i do mean finding it a home. The duckling currently is out in the open( without artificial heat or incubation) , and as far as i know is not being kept warm in any other way than the sun, so i assume i will have to start from scratch? Also, my chickens are kept in a pen + a roosting house, and are let out into a small paddock during the day.. will this be okay or should i keep it in a smaller pen until it's older? I'm still in school and won't be able to monitor it day to day.
I believe the breed is Muscovy.

Last edited:
@Miss Lydia
Thank you so much!
I believe the breed is Muscovy.
I would let the duckling and chickens meet but I wouldn't let the duckling be with the chickens full time unless they can be supervised believe it or not chickens can inflict serious injuries on ducklings even ducks. We had a member who put his 3-4 week old ducklings in with his hens and they pecked several to death and seriously injured others so until your duckling is close to adult size and they have all had a chance to get use to each.The duckling should be kept separate. And until fully feathered he should be kept where he/she will be warm and not get chilled. Muscovy are awesome breed That is the breed I have. Keep us updated on how it all goes.
smile.png
with pics of course.

Back
Top Bottom