3 week old Speckled Sussex gender? UPDATE: 7 week old pics!

Pics
What about it's behavior? A robin landed in the yard and it ran up to the robin and puffed up
hu.gif

No sign of saddle feathers in those pictures. And my SS pullets all have rather large combs at 2 1/2 months old now. You have a pullet.

My SS pullets are the first to jump on you and investigate anything they come across. I actually have found that pullets are a lot more aggressive than roos until the roos start becoming mature.

I have raised Speckled Sussex chicks for some time now, and the best way I have found to tell the boys from the girls at an early stage. Is when the tail feathers start to come in. The girls get theirs in while the boys will just be fuzzy for quite abit longer than the girls. This has worked 100% of the time for me in all my speckled sussex chicks and actually for most other breeds as well. I think from the picks that it is probably a girl. But of course I cannot see the other chicks in the group to compare it.

Pullet, I bet it was. Boys are much rounder and usually have a good bit of white in the chest area, plus stumpy tails, of course. Have had a few SS myself, and currently have a SS pullet who is 8 weeks old.

mother o' chicks72 :

Quote:
was it a roo or a hen?

I'm not sure we'll ever know - the OP hasn't posted again since October of 2009.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom