HighDesertPeeps

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2024
Got 5 Lavender Orpington chicks when they were 2 days old. One of the chicks had a vent that I think was prolapsed from the moment I got her (online, overnight shipped day of birth.) I did all of the things that the feed store, this site and other forums have recommended. (soak bootie, witch hazel, gloved hand w Prep H gently push back in, pick-no-more, coconut oil, Vetericyn) She is 3 weeks old and her vent has never fully gone back in (even with gentle pushing.) The Vetericyn seems to have done the most good, btw - at least it's not red and angry like it used to be, and appears smaller.
She also isn't feathering like the other 4. The other four are almost fully feathered, and she's still mostly down (except around her vent which is a little bare.) She acts like the other chicks - eating, drinking, peeping softly... she otherwise seems fine. What should I do? Is it possible that the vent will resolve itself eventually (it doesn't stick out as far as it once did.) Will she be able to lay eggs with this issue? Should I use more force trying to push it in (I feel like I've used a reasonable amount of force, and kept my finger in place for awhile, but it just never goes in, just stays sticking out) Do I need to find an avian vet?

Attachments

• tempImageqyOFsX.png
    tempImageqyOFsX.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 18
  • tempImageIet8n6.png
    tempImageIet8n6.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
  • tempImageaRGvHf.png
    tempImageaRGvHf.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
  • tempImageci1m5j.png
    tempImageci1m5j.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
Welcome to BYC!! I agree that she's young enough, it will likely resolve with growth. You've done a great job including the fact that you're monitoring behavior. LO's can have weird feathers. I predict that she'll be just fine and gorgeous when she gets older.

Back
Top Bottom