3 wk chick with mareks. Should I get rid of the rest of the chicks and just start over vaccinated o

Felbeth

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 16, 2012
I bought unvaccinated chicks from a pet store that gets its chicks from Cackle and McMurray. I would've got mine vaccinated but I wanted to choose my chicks and so I got them unvaccinated like the rest of them. I ended up with 19 beauties of various breeds. On impulse I also took the rare chick that Mcmurray throws in with an order. I thought it would be fun for the kids to try to guess the breed. 3 weeks later this poor chick presents with paralysis of legs, in classic Mareks position. I am told it must be a really virulent form to strike so early, when symptoms do not typically appear until over 6 weeks. The Dr. I spoke to at Cornell wants to do a necropsy, and I am planning to overnight the chick on Monday (it's still alive)... So I have been up all night agonizing over what to do and would love input/opinion/etc... Do I get rid of the chicks and start over with vaccinated ones next year. I have some beauties (3 white 2 splash and 2 blue silkies, 2 blue chochin bantams, 1 mille fluer, 2 ee, 1 maran, 2 leghorns, and one polish) Right now they are all symptom free but I expect in a few weeks the ball with drop, and I fear like a domino effect, I am going to be dealing with this one after the other in a long drawn out fashion. The longer I have them and the bigger they get, the harder it will be for the kids (and me) to deal with this. I know some will survive, but which ones and how many can't be predicted. Do I cut my losses now or gamble that enough will survive? And of the surviving ones, will I be able to bring in new chicks in the future? What would you do?

that's a very tough question and your likely going to get a lot of different answers here but personally what I would do not saying its the best course of action but I would likely keep the birds and deal with things as they arise. some although all are carriers some might be resistant to the disease. I have a huge soft spot for animals and NOT saying this is the best course to take but honestly I would keep them and deal with things as they came. but that's just me. this is defiantly a difficult decision and ultimately only you can decide what's best. but you asked what I would do so I answered honestly. my heart goes out to you and your birds. I'm very sorry you are in this situation. I'm sure someone with more experience with Marek's can be of more help to you but I truly wish you the best in what ever decision you make. good luck

Get rid of all of them; disinfect everything with extreme prejudice. It you keep them, you run the risk of polluting the whole flock and your land. It's not too late in the season to start over again. This time find some started birds in your breed. You will recoop the time lost and get back on track. Now is about the time breeders will be making decisions on their birds born early in the season. And you will have birds laying this winter too.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
I appreciate your reply. It helps to get a perspective on this from someone with experience with chickens (something I lack). I didn't think about land contamination. I also don't want to deal with a vicious cycle with future chicks, even vaccinated ones. Maybe those vaccinated chicks will one day have chicks and they won't be vaccinated. Didn't consider that; however, I cringe with the thought of dealing with this. Can't even imagine how I will go about it. It's a nightmare, but I guess it goes with the territory or raising livestock. Some of the chicks are like pets, though . How long does the Mareks virus survive on land the surface of the basement? Does it have to be disinfected completely or in time will the virus die? Should I throw away all equipment, lights, etc...? Don't think I will get more chicks this year, but I think I will try again next spring. It's just seems too much right now. Thanks again, Felicia

I've never bought vaccinated chicks in 15+ yrs of having chickens and have not had a problem. I would send the one in to see if it IS Mareks. If it's not, then you have nothing to worry about that particular disease. I would ask them to figure out what the bird has tho. If it does have Mareks, then personally I would study up on it (get more current info) and decide how I would actually deal with it.
IDLaura

Back
Top Bottom