3 year old Wyandotte has runny green poop

Fluffyhenkeeper

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2022
Hi there, so one of my hens who is the top of the pecking order hasn’t been feeling her best the last few days. I noticed her bum was getting diarrhea stuck to it and have been closely watching her droppings where she has been sleeping at night and I’ve also seen her poop while I’ve been out there. It’s very watery and has some green coloration to it. Yesterday I saw it had what looked like bile.

She has a history of having a poppy butt, so when I first noticed it I wasn’t super alarmed, she’s just always had that problem ever since I’ve had her, but she has always eaten and been happy and social. Lately she hasn’t been spending much time at the feeder and doesn’t seem as a perky as usual. She still moves around on her own and drinking water.

I fed her yogurt the previous two days and scrambled egg. She loves to eat both of those so at least she has an appetite for that.

They have two water containers in their coop one has apple cider vinegar mixed in the water and yesterday I made one with electrolytes.

She hasn’t laid eggs since probably last summer. Her last egg was a tiny little soft shelled one. So I assumed she might have been done laying since she is 3? Maybe I’m wrong about that.

Her feathers look beautiful, her comb looks healthy, her crop doesn’t feel impacted. None of the other chickens have any symptoms.

Should I separate her or leave her in there with her friends? She’s not being bothered and she is moving around and drinking water but she’s just not been as perky lately and has the problem with the green diarrhea.

Thank you for your help!

Have you checked the crop early morning before she eats or drinks to feel if her crop is empty? Does she have any enlarged lower belly between her legs? I don’t see worms in her poops, but it would not hurt to worm her.
I did check her crop this morning before she ate and it felt empty, nothing hard. I’ll check her belly between her legs. She’s very hard to catch! The other hens are friendly but not her lol.

@ Eggcessive The medication finally came in the mail today. She has been eating a little bit each day, but hasn't made much improvement. I ordered the Enrofloxacin. Would you recommend adding that to her water and keeping her in a separate area for the week time that she needs the medication? Thanks!

I would leave her with her flock, since they are not bothering her. She could have a reproductive disorder, such as internal laying or salpingitis, or infection. That can make them have low energy and loss of appetite. Is her tail held up or down? Is her crop emptying overnight, or still full in morning? Do you have a picture of her droppings to see what the urates look like? Yellow urates, instead of white, can be a sign of reproductive or liver disorder, ascites, or cancer. Some try antibiotics, such as enrofloxacin or Aqua Mox to treat for infection, but it may or may not help. Worming with Valbazen or SafeGuard just to make sure that is not an issue could help. Probiotics are good, and moisten chicken feed, egg or occasional tuna may keep her interested in eating.

What's her diet? Can you feel her crop first thing in morning?
Her diet is layer crumbles as that is what the other hens are eating. They have occasional treats of cabbage, berries and free range periodically and will feed on bits of fresh grass. They also get dried meal worms as a treat, but that would only be about 10 worms per chicken. I will try inspecting her crop in the morning. I have been giving her the egg and yogurt only the last couple days in an effort to get her to eat. Typically they don’t eat those.

I would leave her with her flock, since they are not bothering her. She could have a reproductive disorder, such as internal laying or salpingitis, or infection. That can make them have low energy and loss of appetite. Is her tail held up or down? Is her crop emptying overnight, or still full in morning? Do you have a picture of her droppings to see what the urates look like? Yellow urates, instead of white, can be a sign of reproductive or liver disorder, ascites, or cancer. Some try antibiotics, such as enrofloxacin or Aqua Mox to treat for infection, but it may or may not help. Worming with Valbazen or SafeGuard just to make sure that is not an issue could help. Probiotics are good, and moisten chicken feed, egg or occasional tuna may keep her interested in eating.
I will see if I can get a good picture of her droppings today. I’m leaning towards a reproductive issue since she hasn’t laid an egg since last summer. I will look into the antibiotics, I’ll be going to town today and can get some. Thank you for your help, will keep you all posted!

Most antibiotics are only available for fish or pigeons online. Jedds.com and Allivet.com are ones I have used. I can help with dosage. Antibiotics will be prescription only by June 2023. A couple of injectable antibiotics such as Tylan, oxytetracycline LA, and procaine pen G may be available in feed stores until then.

Most antibiotics are only available for fish or pigeons online. Jedds.com and Allivet.com are ones I have used. I can help with dosage. Antibiotics will be prescription only by June 2023. A couple of injectable antibiotics such as Tylan, oxytetracycline LA, and procaine pen G may be available in feed stores until then.
I was wondering about that I was doing some googling and saw the antibiotics for fish can be used for chickens. I’ll order some today in case I can’t find any in town.

Back
Top Bottom