3 year old Wyandotte has runny green poop

Have you checked the crop early morning before she eats or drinks to feel if her crop is empty? Does she have any enlarged lower belly between her legs? I don’t see worms in her poops, but it would not hurt to worm her.

Have you checked the crop early morning before she eats or drinks to feel if her crop is empty? Does she have any enlarged lower belly between her legs? I don’t see worms in her poops, but it would not hurt to worm her.
I did check her crop this morning before she ate and it felt empty, nothing hard. I’ll check her belly between her legs. She’s very hard to catch! The other hens are friendly but not her lol.

I placed a paper towel under her last night and this is what I got.

Attachments

• 2693E6CA-0C1E-47CF-A34B-F18A092452EE.jpeg
    2693E6CA-0C1E-47CF-A34B-F18A092452EE.jpeg
    769.7 KB · Views: 8
I was doing some research and does anyone think it could be vent gleet?

Attachments

• 807B614D-9016-4537-B9B0-5155AA1F38AB.jpeg
    807B614D-9016-4537-B9B0-5155AA1F38AB.jpeg
    879.6 KB · Views: 8
With vent gleet, they usually have a red featherless vent area, maybe with white patches, a really bad odor, and a continuous dripping of white urates. It is usually a fungal infection. I think she just has a messy vent from loose poops.

Her dropping looks similar to some I have had with internal laying or reproductive disorder. Not the yellow material that looks like eggy material.

With vent gleet, they usually have a red featherless vent area, maybe with white patches, a really bad odor, and a continuous dripping of white urates. It is usually a fungal infection. I think she just has a messy vent from loose poops.

Her dropping looks similar to some I have had with internal laying or reproductive disorder. Not the yellow material that looks like eggy material.
Thank you for your help, I think you’re right about it not being vent gleet, I’ve never seen it before so I wasn’t sure. I read that it can smell really bad and I haven’t noticed that either. I ordered the antibiotics you had recommended the other day and they should be here in a few days. If it is a reproductive issue does that mean it might not be curable? I wonder if it is that given the fact that she hasn’t laid an egg since last summer. Chickens are hard, I want to provide the best care possible but not always sure what to do. 😢 thank you!

@ Eggcessive The medication finally came in the mail today. She has been eating a little bit each day, but hasn't made much improvement. I ordered the Enrofloxacin. Would you recommend adding that to her water and keeping her in a separate area for the week time that she needs the medication? Thanks!

Treating with antibiotics may or may not help with salpingitis and some other reproductive infections. Treating early may help. Enrofloxacin is best given orally twice a day, since chickens will not drink enough of it due to the bad taste. Dosage is 0.25 ml for a 5 pound chicken twice a day for 5 days. If she is smaller or larger than 5 pounds give 0.05 ml per pound. Using a 1 ml syringe without a needle is best for small amounts, and available free at most pharmacies for giving animals and babies medicine.

Treating with antibiotics may or may not help with salpingitis and some other reproductive infections. Treating early may help. Enrofloxacin is best given orally twice a day, since chickens will not drink enough of it due to the bad taste. Dosage is 0.25 ml for a 5 pound chicken twice a day for 5 days. If she is smaller or larger than 5 pounds give 0.05 ml per pound. Using a 1 ml syringe without a needle is best for small amounts, and available free at most pharmacies for giving animals and babies medicine.
Hi there,
Thank you for all your help earlier. She seemed to be getting better and was really interested in eating and still does eat and drink, but she seems to have water belly. Her abdomen is stretched like a balloon and has been having more trouble walking now. I have been doing a lot of reading about water belly and it sounds like it can be caused by reproductive issues, heart disease or liver problems. So like we talked about earlier it does sound like she has an incurable illness that is beyond my control. 🥺 so sad to see her go through this at the end.

Most antibiotics are only available for fish or pigeons online. Jedds.com and Allivet.com are ones I have used. I can help with dosage. Antibiotics will be prescription only by June 2023. A couple of injectable antibiotics such as Tylan, oxytetracycline LA, and procaine pen G may be available in feed stores until then.
Hi there, I just came across this post while trying to help one of my pullets. She has been making a sort of sneezing sound (like a squeek) and now opens her mouth and points her beak up every so often. I've given her Safeguard for 2 days (thinking it was gapeworm) with no change. Do you know what else it could be? I have tylan 200 and procaine g that I can give if it's not gapeworm. I'm just not sure how to proceed. Can you help me?

Back
Top Bottom