3 yr old hen prolapsed, broken egg shell came out of her vent

Quote:
If she's thin or at all not totally healthy, I would still do the wazine first. It'll take care of the adult roundworms quite well. Killing ALL worms might be too stressful. Might be. You can reworm with ivermectin in as little as 2 weeks. So it's a judgement call that I leave to your good judgement.
smile.png

Update: It looked so promising this morning, but bad tonight. She was just sitting in her crate with her eyes closed and very weak. She drank her vitamin/electrolyte water w/ACV this morning, ate yogurt, apple sauce w/tums powder plus some meal worms and her regular layer crumble.
Her crop seems to empty normal, so she should get something out of her feed. I checked and treated the vent and except the already mentioned swelling no signs of prolapse anymore, no egg shell inside.

I am running out of ideas.

Sad thing on the side: her little sister seems to have similar problems - same treatment here. Her sister has laid an egg last weekend, but I suspected her to be an egg eater However, maybe a calcium issue here as well and she is not that thin.

Hopefully they will improve soon. I hate to see them like this.

Well you can actually stop the applesauce. And the tums. The cleansing and the calcium treatment are done. I'd work on getting her crumbles, vitamin/electrolyte water into her, etcc. Maybe some egg if she'll eat that - try again? Good that she ate crumbles.

Hopefully the little sister will do fine with just a one time tums and the back-to-layer change.

Just to make it clear, they have always had the layer crumble, oyster shell and grit, The flock raiser block was only purchased as a treat, but maybe they ate too much of that and not the crumble.
Threehorses: Thank You again for all your patience and dedication staying with us on this issue.

Last edited:
Quote:
LOL My bad, sorry. I think it's time for my brain to go to bed for the night.
droolin.gif

It's my pleasure to try to help. I wish for your sakes you needed no help, but maybe there will be good to come of it that will help make your flocks (and mine honestly) even better in the future as we learn from this.
smile.png

/hugs!

Update: The girl seems doing better, eats and drinks and is more alert. The part what still worries me is that her droppings are firmer, but abnormal green. I am not sure if it is a sign of toxins in her system (she has these kind of droppings on and off for a few month now) or more likely that she does not get all the necessary nutrients out of her food she needs for whatever the reason is, which would also explain her weight loss and that she stopped laying.

Her little sister does not eat much, but has not lost any weight yet. I had to bath her, because her cloacae was dirty with droppings and egg (no shell). Her droppings now also show that bright green color, except that this new in her case. Maybe in her case could that be from the "ivermectin" I gave it to both of them on Thursday?

Bottom line, they look a little better, but still not over the hill.........

It could be, but it could be something else as well. THere's definitely a calcium absorbtion problem going on here. In addition to putting some of their oyster shell "flour" into their food, I'd honestly consider two things:

First, making sure that your feed is stored in a cool dry place in an airtight container, only left ou tenough to feed them for the day; and

Second, spraying cod liver oil on the feed twice a week for a while. The vitamin D, when sprayed on feed via oil this way, is useful to helping them absorb more calcium. The oyster shell flour will take care of the flour part.

I'd also make good and sure that they don't eat a lot of grains.

Also, had they been wormed? (I might have been through this already...)

I will go and get the oil. In regards to your deworming question: DE all the time and just last Thursday now the "ivermectin" pour-on......

Update: She is doing great, eating and drinking like there is no tomorrow. I bought the cod liver oil capsules, opened a bunch on top of her layer and she ate it. Droppings are normal in color and consistency. I still want to keep an eye on her, so she has to stay a few more days in my hospital dog crate.....

Her little sister is not doing so great. She is more alert than last weekend, however she does not seem to eat or drink much. Her cloacae is dirty again with a mixture of droppings and egg (no shell). Maybe I need to syringe some layer crumble, cod liver oil and oyster shell flour.

Back
Top Bottom