30 new babies! One with crossed bill :(

fzouk

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
middle Tennessee
I'm so excited!!! I got my new babies this morning from a local hatchery. 14 Cinnamon Queens, 11 Delawares, and 5 Light Brahmas and I couldn't be happier! One of the Delawares has a crossed bill, unfortunately, but it doesn't look severe to me and I was reading on here how to file it down some. Hopefully she'll do all right. She's my first "special needs" chick in 3 years of chicken raising which probably isn't too bad a record on the whole! She seems to be eating OK. I haven't seen her drink yet but I'll keep an eye on her for that. YAY!!! Will get the pictures on the computer and post some.
big_smile.png

OK here are some pictures. The first one is the little cross billed Delaware. Is this a bad one or something she can live with, do you all think?

21925_photo_34.jpg

Here are some getting their first food. I had the cover off so they could see where/what the feeder is- didn't take them long at all to figure that out!
21925_photo_35.jpg

And a cozy little Delaware just after getting her bottom cleaned off.
21925_photo_36.jpg

I had a Banty rooster with a crossed bill when I was a child (a hunnert years ago!
lol.png
) He did just fine, kinda scooped food. He was my favorite, was sweet as can be. Maybe that is because I felt sorry for him, picked him up often, and hand fed him a lot. The crooked bill should not affect the quality of life, or egg-laying, or anything. Just enjoy!

Thank you!!! That's the answer I was hoping to see, that she'd be OK! I'll definitely keep a closer eye on that one and make sure she's getting food and water... and she'll probably end up with a few extra special treats along the way too.
smile.png
They all seem to be doing great so far! Had a few pasty butts to deal with but I always love the snuggling afterwards, and it always cracks me up how quickly they fall asleep when they're all warm and snuggled into a nice, fluffy washcloth. This is my favorite time of year!!

Back
Top Bottom