32 gallons of food and water - how many days . .

HensInTheForest

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
Minnesota
Taking a trip in 2 months and planning on longer term food and water containers for our covered run area so they dont need to be refilled by those stopping in to check on them and gather eggs.

DIY water nipples and PVC ports is the plan.

I'm looking at 32 gallon round plastic garbage cans with snap on lids, one for food, one for water.

Curious as to your guesses as to how long that would last 21 birds? Birds all just turned 1 year old.

I don't want to go the 55 gal drum route if I don't have to. They are soooo big and I'd have to go pick them up which I don't want to do.

I have a 5 gallon bucket nipple waterer now I have filled it to the top to see how many days it lasts them . . .

Attachments

• rubbermaid-outdoor-trash-cans-2149500-77_600.jpg
    rubbermaid-outdoor-trash-cans-2149500-77_600.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 54
I don't water with barrels, so I can't address that, however, I can say that with 22 adult birds, I go through 100 pounds of feed in about 1 month...that fills a regular tin garbage can, which I'm pretty sure is 31 gallons.

LofMc

Their consumption really depends on what breeds you have. Lighter breeds will usually consume about 1.5-2 pounds per week, per bird - and heavier breeds 3.5-4 pounds per week, per bird. Can you calculate how much feed you've given them over a period of time, so you can do the math?

I happen to keep receipts for our farm records, so I have a ready spreadsheet to look at. Our birds are a mix of heritage breeds - RIR, BPR and Australorp. Medium size. For the year 2022, I kept an average of 40-45 birds throughout the year. But I also raised about 60 chicks, and I didn't separate out costs for them; it's all part of the total figure. But using those figures, I found that we fed about 2.2-pounds of feed per week, per bird (including chicks until butcher weight, maybe 16 weeks.) So.... as a guess, I'd say you should count on about 2-pounds of feed per week, per bird - IF they are lighter or medium size breeds. If they are heavy breeds like Brahmas or Jersey Giants, you should probably stock about 4 pounds per week, per bird.

NOW then.
I use a 21-gallon tote that holds 100-pounds of feed. So that's about 4-3/4-pounds of feed per gallon capacity. So.... your 32-gal garbage can will hold, my best guess, about 150-pounds of feed --- enough to last your 21 (med or lighter breeds) chickens about 3-1/2-weeks --- and if they are heavier breeds, about half that amount of time, or 12 days.

Don't depend on that, though. Dust buildup, moisture causing a clog or 'dome' at a port, spillage, or rodent theft - could cut down the length of time. Have your caretakers check each port to make sure feed is loose and flowing freely, each day.

Hmm.... I wonder if you installed the ports a bit higher, say 2-inches up from the bottom of the tote, if that would minimize dust buildup? Just a thought...

Hope this helps!

Their consumption really depends on what breeds you have. Lighter breeds will usually consume about 1.5-2 pounds per week, per bird - and heavier breeds 3.5-4 pounds per week, per bird. Can you calculate how much feed you've given them over a period of time, so you can do the math?

I happen to keep receipts for our farm records, so I have a ready spreadsheet to look at. Our birds are a mix of heritage breeds - RIR, BPR and Australorp. Medium size. For the year 2022, I kept an average of 40-45 birds throughout the year. But I also raised about 60 chicks, and I didn't separate out costs for them; it's all part of the total figure. But using those figures, I found that we fed about 2.2-pounds of feed per week, per bird (including chicks until butcher weight, maybe 16 weeks.) So.... as a guess, I'd say you should count on about 2-pounds of feed per week, per bird - IF they are lighter or medium size breeds. If they are heavy breeds like Brahmas or Jersey Giants, you should probably stock about 4 pounds per week, per bird.

NOW then.
I use a 21-gallon tote that holds 100-pounds of feed. So that's about 4-3/4-pounds of feed per gallon capacity. So.... your 32-gal garbage can will hold, my best guess, about 150-pounds of feed --- enough to last your 21 (med or lighter breeds) chickens about 3-1/2-weeks --- and if they are heavier breeds, about half that amount of time, or 12 days.

Don't depend on that, though. Dust buildup, moisture causing a clog or 'dome' at a port, spillage, or rodent theft - could cut down the length of time. Have your caretakers check each port to make sure feed is loose and flowing freely, each day.

Hmm.... I wonder if you installed the ports a bit higher, say 2-inches up from the bottom of the tote, if that would minimize dust buildup? Just a thought...

Hope this helps!
I have a feeling we are going thru more feed than that. Hmmmm.

I'm going to keep track when I open the next bag 50 LB bag on Friday it feels like it's only lasting a week and we have no rodents that can breach the run. That can't be right!

Thanks for the details!

3 brahmas and 4 orpingtons might be the reason, others are all medium sized birds and a few lights.

I don't water with barrels, so I can't address that, however, I can say that with 22 adult birds, I go through 100 pounds of feed in about 1 month...that fills a regular tin garbage can, which I'm pretty sure is 31 gallons.

LofMc

NOW then.

Hope this helps!
So helpful thank you!

Oh, and waterers...
In my large pen, I have two 5-gallon bucket waterers, supplemented by two other 3-gallon watering cans, (total 16 gallons), for 40 birds. I have to refill them all about twice a week. There's always some water left in them, though, and a fair amount leaks out - so they probably only use 2/3 of that amount, say 11 gallons, twice a week.

You have half the number of birds that I do, so your water should last twice as long as mine does. So that's 11 gallons per week, plus residual water and leakage. Means you'll probably fill that one 5-gallon bucket 3 times a week for 21 birds. Is that about right?

You should have multiple waterers, though - in case one leaks out for whatever reason. For your flock, I'd advise placing 3-4 waterers of whatever shape (15-20 gallons total), to last them about a week before refills.

I'm going to keep track when I open the next bag 50 LB bag on Friday it feels like it's only lasting a week and we have no rodents that can breach the run. That can't be right!
Yes, that's about right. 50-pounds divided by 21 birds = 2.38 pounds per bird, per week. I said above they'd go through 1-1/2 - 2 pounds per week if they were lighter, and up to 4-pounds for heavy breeds. You're in the middle of that range, so that's about right.

21 birds, a bit over 5 pounds of feed per day. So a full 50 pound bag ought to last ten days.

Water... provide extra sources if you can just in case. The birds can go longer without food than without water. I'd leave twice or three times what you think they might need.

Thanks for the details!

3 brahmas and 4 orpingtons might be the reason, others are all medium sized birds and a few lights.
I track the feed by writing the date I dump it into our storage containers. We go through a 50 pound bag for 8 layers about once a month. Note we use pellets and there is very little waste.

For water we have two water stations. A 5 gallon HN bucket and a 2 gallon HN bucket. They get filled using a one gallon pitcher. I don't track consumption. Your plan to measure daily consumption is a good plan. I have found a bunch of references online saying a typical adult chicken will avarage one pint per day. But could drink twice that in hotter weather. If that estimate is close, you could expect 32 gallons would last about 10 days. Please check my math. But above you got some good advice to pad it a bit. Also note, if you have just one water station. A leak would be bad.

Can you ask you chicken helpers to check the feed & water daily?

Attachments

• feed.JPG
    feed.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 6
21 birds, a bit over 5 pounds of feed per day. So a full 50 pound bag ought to last ten days.

Water... provide extra sources if you can just in case. The birds can go longer without food than without water. I'd leave twice or three times what you think they might need.
Thanks!

I have a seasoned chicken helped popping by every day so all will be fine. Just wanted to make it as easy for him as possible.

Back
Top Bottom